none
Limitations in software distribution RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft Solver Foundation team,

Thank you for the nice software for curve fitting.

I’m a scientist working in the field of image analysis in the molecular biology. I’m using Microsoft Solver Foundation Library in one of my softwares (downloaded from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/devlabs/hh145003).

I’m planning to start distributing my software as free tool for bio-image analysis. I would like to ask, are they any limitations for the distribution?

Microsoft.Solver.Foundation.dll is used for fitting the results from the image analysis to a mathematical models.

Best regards

• Edited by GDanovski Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:35 AM

All replies

• There really isn't an team anymore for MSF. The products last version came out around 6 years ago. There was a post by one person on the team around that time that said they were looking at rolling the functionality of MSF into a larger framework. Nothing has been said about either MSF or this other framework since. The product is basically dead, though still in use by some.

If you are using the free edition, which it seems like based on the download link you provided, there shouldn't be any issues distributing it. That's mainly because anyone could go download it themselves. There's not any sense in Microsoft going after someone who is freely distributing a portion of software that Microsoft themselves provides freely. Especially for a product they no longer maintain. It's just a waste of money/resources in their legal department. Hopefully that helps you out.

On a different note, if there is anyone at Microsoft who still looks at this forum, I'd like to make the suggestion that the free edition of MSF 3.1 get open-sourced, if possible.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:40 PM
  • Thank you for the answer.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:20 PM