Installing Reporting module in Visual Studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have to create some reports from Databases and want to use the Reporting tools/classes provided with Visual Studio.
    But for some sort of reason, I can't find the Reporting module in the 'Add New Item' window.

I'm using Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate, which I downloaded from MSDNAA pretty much once it was available.
    I even installed the update today.

Is there a way to add these Reporting tools to Visual Studio without having to reinstall it?
    I can reinstall Visual Studio, but I need to be 100% sure that I won't lose projects etc. as I need all of them.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I do mean adding a Report of a Table Adapter via Project > Add new Item > Report.
    Like if you would be adding a new class.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:21 PM

Answers

• Reporting is not part of VS proper.  Reporting is provided by either Crystal Reports or SQL Server.  For SQL Server you'll need to install SQL Server Data Tools via Extensions Manager.  This will then give you access to the database projects including reporting. 

Michael Taylor - 12/4/2012
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Reinstalled Visual Studio and while I was on it, I formatted my laptop (first) too.

I do have the reporting module now, but I did get this when installing Visual Studio:

Error installing Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate

This is probably because I hadn't installed SQL Server yet?

Ah heck, the program works as far as I know. I do have to install the latest update though

PS: I used the web installer I still had left.

Greetings, Stijn

• Marked as answer by TheGroundZero Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:42 PM
    • Edited by TheGroundZero Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:38 PM

All replies

• Reporting is not part of VS proper.  Reporting is provided by either Crystal Reports or SQL Server.  For SQL Server you'll need to install SQL Server Data Tools via Extensions Manager.  This will then give you access to the database projects including reporting. 

Michael Taylor - 12/4/2012
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:20 PM
  • I have SQL Management Studio 2008 R2 installed on my computer.

I know from other class mates that they haven't installed or configured anything special, so it surprise me that I would have to.
    But I'll take a look at it.

EDIT

I looked at the "Extentions and Updates" menu and I've found this:

Installed:

• Microsoft Web Developer Tools (cannot be uninstalled, so I guess it's included with VS
    • 2 more, non-SQL related

Online (looking for "Report")

• WinForms Report Viewer for Telerik Reporting
    • WPF Report Viewer for Telerik Reporting
    • ASP.NET Report Viewer for Telerik Reporting
    • Reports for WinForms (MS Access-style Database Reporting ...)
    • ... many more, which don't look very intresting

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:26 PM
  • To be clear SSDT should have been installed as part of VS2012.  Local reports (RDLC) can be added to any project but SSRS reports can only be added to Reporting projects (from SSDT).  SQL Server 2008 R2 does not integrate nor use VS 2012.  SQL2008, when you install the BIDS component, installs a copy of VS2010.  It is that version of VS that you'll have to use for reports that use BIDS.  For VS2010 you'll find the report project under Business Intelligence rather than SQL.

VS2012, with SSDT, can generate reports for SQL 2008+ so you can use VS2012 to write reports but installing SQL2008 won't have any impact on VS2012 irrelevant of what you opt to install.  For VS2012 you can find the steps here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173745.aspx#bkmk_SolutionsandProjects

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:40 PM
  • So if I understand it correctly, I should not have deinstalled VS2010 after I've installed VS2012, as the Reporting module got removed with it?

I do remember removing older versions of VS (even a 2008 version I think) after I had installed VS2012. This never affected the 2012 version, so far.

The weird thing is that more than half of my class uses VS2012 and they do have the Reporting tools.
    The teacher and a few other students still use the 2010 version.

PS: I do mean adding a Report of a Table Adapter via Project > Add new Item > Report.
    Like if you would be adding a new class.

EDIT: installing the SSDT atm: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/jj650015

EDIT2: no effect so far ... don't think I need to do 4&5

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Uninstalling VS2010 could be yes or no.  If you no longer needed it (because VS2012 is backwards compatible) and you didn't need BIDS from SQL 2008 then you could remove it.  Removal would not have impacted VS2012.

Given your PS you're trying to create a local (non-SQL) report so SSDT and all the aforementioned discussion isn't relevant anyway.  A local report is part of VS proper as it is not tied to any specific database.  Once you've created a project it'll show up under Visual C#\Reporting (for C# apps).  There is a chance that uninstalling VS2010 might have removed the reporting component but I wouldn't think so.  You could repair the VS 2012 installation to confirm.  The functionality is provided by the underlying Microsoft.ReportViewer assemblies which ship with the framework. 

One thing that you should confirm is that your project is targeting the .NET 4 Full Profile and not the (default) Client Profile.  I don't know that the CP supports reporting.  If it doesn't then you wouldn't be able to add reports to such a project.  You can confirm this via the project's properties page.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:35 PM
  • To be honest, I didn't understand your whole reply. As I don't know much from the technics behind everything.

I removed VS2010 as I installed 2012 assuming that it's like 2010 with even some extras.
    Never thought about the differences or any possible results. I did remove VS'10 AFTER installing VS'12.

I'm indeed trying to add a report that should be located under the C#\Reporting category, but I can't even seem to find the category.

I don't think I changed anything to the target framework, don't think anyone has in my class.
    For some reason opening someone elses solution did give me an error about different frameworks, but it seemed like one target string used a semicolon as seperator between framework and version (3.5 I think) and the other used a question mark. Dunno if this has something to do with it.

Guess I'll have to search for my installer (or on the MSDN site) and try to reapair my install.
    I believe repairing doesn't affect your projects etc?
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:58 PM
  • The default target framework is Client Profile which I don't know supports reporting.  Go to your project's property dialog (right click project name in Solution Explorer and select Properties).  Go to the application tab and confirm that Target framework is set to .NET Framework 4 and not something like .NET Framework 4 Client Profile. 

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:17 PM
  • It is indeed .NET Framework 4 and not .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.
    So this can't be the problem.

I'll definitly look further into it tomorrow.

Thanks for your help so far.
    I hope we can find the solution together, I really consider reinstalling a last option but an open option.

I wish you a good night, whenever that may be for you ;)
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:23 PM
  • Hi TheGroundZero,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.
    What about this problem now?
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

please mark the threads which had answered your question as Answer and also the threads which had been helpful as helpful.

By the way, if you need more information about crystal reprort, please refer to:

http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio/content?filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype[thread]

And for SSDT, please refer to :http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ssdt/threads

Regards,

Lisa Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 5:41 AM
  • Hi Lisa

My issue still isn't solved :(

I think I'll reinstall VS this weekend so I can take my time to check everything.

Anyway, I'll try to give an update Monday, if the reinstall did the job, I'll mark the question as solved/answered.

PS: I don't need SAP reports or so, I need to work with the Built-in report function of Visual Studio.

Greetings, Stijn

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:31 AM
  • I have redownloaded the Web Installer of Visual Studio and ran it.

First, I selected the Repair option, which didn't solve the problem.
    Now I tried to fix the issue with the Modify option, but I only see the following options (image) and they were already selected ...

Greetings, Stijn

Friday, December 7, 2012 11:39 PM
  • The report designer is part of core VS so if you installed VS then you would have it.
    Saturday, December 8, 2012 7:51 PM
  • That's why I'll reinstall it

Must have been deselected or so when installing it

Greetings, Stijn

Saturday, December 8, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Reinstalled Visual Studio and while I was on it, I formatted my laptop (first) too.

I do have the reporting module now, but I did get this when installing Visual Studio:

Error installing Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate

This is probably because I hadn't installed SQL Server yet?

Ah heck, the program works as far as I know. I do have to install the latest update though

PS: I used the web installer I still had left.

Greetings, Stijn

• Marked as answer by TheGroundZero Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:42 PM
    • Edited by TheGroundZero Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:38 PM