none
Please Help To Explain New Burn Down Chart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Microsoft Admin,

I am having a difficulty in understanding some new burndown chart. I have a raw data in the excel file below (my Sprint is from Aug 21 to Sept 03)

Please help me to explain some questions about Average Burndown, Total Scope Increase in below 3 pictures:

Thank you so much for your help.

Have a nice day :)

Best Regards,

Thoa

Friday, August 30, 2019 9:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

So excellent. I understand very clearly now. I really highly appreciate for your help.

Thank you so much and I will mark as answer.

I hope that I will see you again on future topics.

Thoa

• Marked as answer by M2I Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

Have a look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/report/dashboards/configure-burndown-burnup-widgets?view=azure-devops. It goes into detail on how to configure burndown and burnup for your team. The average burndown will be depending on how your sprint is set to calculate.

Hope this helps but let me know otherwise.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Friday, August 30, 2019 3:45 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your feedback. There are some differences about the configuration between in your link and in my TFS (for example: select Date/Week/Month to plot) as the picture below. In fact, in my situation, I do not know the formula to calculate Average Burndown (assume the my Burndown plots according to Date). Could you please help me to explain the formula of Average Burndown, I see in some cases Average Burndown is a negative number, I do not know why (you can base on my examples in the previous email)?

Thank you so much for your help.

Here is the configuration in your link:

Here is the configuration in my TFS:

Best Regards,

THoa

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Hi Thoa,

I was reviewing https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/boards/sprints/sprint-burndown?view=azure-devops&tabs=remaining-work#view-the-sprint-burndown-in-context-report, which is a different link than what I provided prior. Total Scope Increase is defined as the number of work items added since the start of the burndown; in this case the sprint if I'm not mistaken. Now I can't see complete charts from your screen grab but from what I can tell, amount of Remaining work and Estimate does trend down which translates in to decreasing scope as work gets completed.

As for the average burn down, it's the rate at which the work is changing over the entire interval/sprint. So avg burn down = ( summation (interval - next interval) ) / total intervals.

Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:58 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for your reply. I can find some useful idea in your link. 

May I give more details for the average burndown?

My example: My current Sprint  (Sprint 3) is from August 21, 2019 to September 03, 2019.

Totally, there are 10 Sprints in my Project. 

avg burn down = ( summation (interval - next interval) ) / total intervals.

In my case, avg burn down = ( summation (3 - 4) ) / 10? (Mean [Sprint 3- Sprint 4]/10 Sprints)

Could you please help me to correct so I can input exactly according to your formular?

Thank you and have a nice day^^

Best Regards,

Thoa

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 11:35 AM
  • Hi Thoa,

So when I say "each interval", I'm referring to the interval inside your sprint which would be the day. So in the case of your remaining work chart, it would:

Aug 21-22     Aug 22-23       Aug 23-24      Aug 24-25     Aug 25-26   / Aug 21 - 26

avg burn down = ( (125 - 115) + (115 - 110) + (110 - 110) + (110 - 75) + (75 - 80) ) / 5 days

That means your team is completing 10 pts (or hrs) worth or work per day.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:03 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Excellent. Thank you so much for your explanation. Now I can understand the average burndown.

I just have a small question about Ideal Trend as below, could you please help me? I do not understand the formula of Ideal Trend

* On the first day of Sprint

* On the second day of Sprint

Have a nice day and nice to work with you.

Best Regards,

Thoa

Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:51 AM
  • No problem Thoa. Glad to be of help.

The ideal trend is the amount of work your team should complete each day within the sprint in order to complete the sprint based on your teams capacity on time. In looking at your screen shot, the ideal trend slope is 20.9 hrs. These markers simply represents the amount of work that should be remaining in the sprint at that point in time. On the first day, work has just begun which is why the marker is same remaining work. The second marker represents your team ideally should've completed 20.9 hours work in order to complete the sprint on time.

Having said that, I would focus more on the ideal trend line itself and how your burn down (the shaded blue) compares it. That will tell your team is on target to complete the sprint of if your team will have to ignite the midnight petroleum.

Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Thursday, September 5, 2019 3:45 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I understood very well about Ideal Trend. It is very interesting to discuss with you :) May I have 2 more small questions relating to Burndown Chart as below.

1. For Ideal Trend slope = 20.9

Value 20.9, system generates automatically or based which factor to deliver this number? Because as I know it is a ideal work which team should complete each day, it is not a real work. Therefore, calculating it does not base on Remaining Hour

2. Total Scope Increase element

I understand that Total Scope Increase indicates work added / reduced against the first day of Sprint. However, I do not know the formula to calculate it because I can not count it manually. As you can see on my picture below, Total Scope Increase is negative, this makes me confuse that why it is negative

Thank you so much for your support. I wish you have a great weekend ^_^

Best Regards,

Thoa

Friday, September 6, 2019 4:20 AM
  • Good morning Ryan,

I hope that you are fine today. Could you please help me 2 above question? Thank you so much for your support.

Best Regards,

Thoa

Monday, September 9, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Hi Thoa,

Sorry about the delay, I was reaching out to the azure devops team. The ideal trend slope is calculated using total work for the sprint / number of days in the sprint. So its essentially the ideal burn down trend your team should follow to complete the work in the sprint.

The team has received feedback in regards to the total scope. This value is always changing since your team is burning down hours and the number of hours changes. Therefore, it's not really valuable to include it.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:44 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

It is good to hear from you. I well got about the formula of Ideal Trend.

I also understand that Total scope is always changing. However, it would be great if you could help to provide me the formula to calculate Total scope? I would like to know because 2 below reasons:

1. Sometimes Total Scope is negative and I do not know why. I can not count each work item manually to see how much increase / decrease

2. My manager asks me about Total Scope Increase number, I know the formula to feedback

Thank you so much for your help. Have a nice day :)

Best Regards,

Thoa

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Sure thing Thoa, I reached out to our team and awaiting a response. I'll update as soon as I get one.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Excellent. Thank you. I will wait for your response.

Thoa

Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

I hope that you are fine today. It would be great if you could help to advise me the Total Scope Increase formula.

Thank you so much for your support. 

Have a nice week :)

Thoa

Monday, September 16, 2019 3:32 AM
  • Hi Thoa,

The total scope increase metric is calculated as today’s total scope minus the first day’s total scope. It includes the effort of both remaining and completed effort. You can get a negative total scope increase if you remove/cut work items during their sprint rather than completing them.

On the inline sprint burndown report, you should be watching the orange Total Scope line to understand Total Scope Increase. If you look at the tooltip value for Total Scope on the chart for today (NOT the future values predicted by the total scope line) and for the first x-axis date of the chart, then subtract those values, you should get the Total Scope Increase.

Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Monday, September 16, 2019 3:48 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

So excellent. I understand very clearly now. I really highly appreciate for your help.

Thank you so much and I will mark as answer.

I hope that I will see you again on future topics.

Thoa

• Marked as answer by M2I Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:12 AM