Point me in the right direction if Sharepoint can do this. RRS feed

• Question

• Until now, we would use a relational database we built in-house to track this information, but I would really like to use Sharepoint if that is possible.  The data can still be stored externally to Sharepoint (if built-in functionality is not present) but I would like to use Sharepoint to view, change, and add new content.

We want to document network information about our clients.  This will be information like procedures related to a particular application they use.  Or configuration information for firewalls, smartphones, computers, etc.  Or information about services such as email providers.  Or licensing information for various software products.  We need to track this various information per customer.

We want to track similar information across all customers.  So, a computer, for example.  We would want to track MFG, model, date purchased, warranty expiration, username, password, etc etc.  We would want to track all of this same information regardless which customer bought a computer.  So, it seemed like this would be a list.

Then for a firewall, we would want to track things like IP address, subnet mask, gateway, username, password, VPN information, etc.  Seems like this would just be another list.

So basically, it seems like my "structured data" could all be structured in Sharepoint lists.  But then I just have a bunch of lists and I want to somehow have a view where I browse to a customer site (was thinking each customer would be a site in Sharepoint).  In this site I could have a document library as well as some other built-in sharepoint features like a list for Vendor contact information, etc.  But I would then want to be able to display only the documentation items related to this customer.  And equally important, easily be able to add additional items to the lists so if they bought a new computer, our tech could easily add this to their documentation.

Please let me know if I'm correct in thinking that Sharepoint can do this and if you could just point me in the right direction of how I should be thinking about developing this solution, I would really appreciate it.  I'm a fairly seasoned VB but I have not developed any solutions with Sharepoint yet.  I'm more than willing to put in the time, but I just want to make sure I'm going down the right path from the start.

Thanks!

Friday, September 10, 2010 5:22 AM