none
Azure database V12 Create database operation very very slow . RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning/Afternoon .

I am looking at advancing on to the V12 Azure database and have the following problem .

Being doing this over the past week or so .

A simple Create database operation  ( either via the portal, or SSMS 2014 , or via the API)  on a V2 server takes 5 seconds . The same create operation on a V12 server takes on average +- 1 minute and 16 seconds . The service level ( standard s0 , premium P1) , makes little difference  . Worst case I have seen is over two minutes.

This is very expensive time wise and was wondering if this is normal ? The difference from 5 seconds to well over a minute is stark.
    Location of the server is not relevant, tried both West Europe and US Central .

Many thanks

Regards

John

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 12:05 PM

Answers

• Hi John

Many thanks for your feedback.  You are correct in observing that database provisioning takes longer on V12 servers.  Our current objective for V12 servers is to provision empty databases within 60 seconds but this time can vary considerably; we consider it an issue if provisioning takes much more than two minutes.  We absolutely want to improve this but it will be some time before this is possible.  In the meantime if you have a specific business requirement for faster database provisioning please let us know. 

Thanks,
    Bill  

Thursday, July 9, 2015 12:48 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Thanks for posting here.

I suggest you to refer the below articles.

I strongly recommend you to open a support ticket if you need guidance in improving performance. 

Said that, I would've started by looking at the index fragmentation level and comparing the query plans of bad queries with the good run (if available).

Ref:

1. Index fragmentation: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dilkushp/archive/2013/07/28/fragmentation-in-sql-azure.aspx 

2. DTA:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-IN/library/ms174202.aspx 

Girish Prajwal

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:03 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, but this has nothing to do with tuning, or application performance, I have not got anywhere near that yet .

This is a simple Create database , no indexes, no other operations, just create the database under the V12 server .

e.g.

from SMSS or a c# app , connect to the server run this TSQL . "CREATE DATABASE TestDB2 (EDITION = 'standard');""

or create the same database in the Azure portal .

• Edited by johm Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Hi John

Many thanks for your feedback.  You are correct in observing that database provisioning takes longer on V12 servers.  Our current objective for V12 servers is to provision empty databases within 60 seconds but this time can vary considerably; we consider it an issue if provisioning takes much more than two minutes.  We absolutely want to improve this but it will be some time before this is possible.  In the meantime if you have a specific business requirement for faster database provisioning please let us know. 

Thanks,
    Bill  

Thursday, July 9, 2015 12:48 AM
  • Thanks Bill

As part of our applications start up processing we create an empty database . Being used to 10 seconds or so, we thought the V12 times excessive . We spent a lot of time trying to understand the reasons , having thought , erroneously , that it was something we were doing wrong.

Anyway, on average we are managing it in 1 minute 15 seconds .

We can manage the expectation by popping up a message saying there would be a bit of a delay .

Many thanks

Thursday, July 9, 2015 7:40 AM