none
Wipe Storsimple 8600 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have a a pair of old 8600 StorSimple units that we are wanting to re-use but they need to be wiped first.

Can you advise the process to cabling these 2 together so they can be wiped?

Cheers

Hunt

Monday, November 26, 2018 4:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We have a guide on cabling up a StorSimple8600 which you may find useful, the guide can be found here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storsimple/storsimple-8600-hardware-installation#cable-your-storsimple-8600-device

To deactivate and delete an appliance for the StorSimple 8000 series device we have this guide - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storsimple/storsimple-8000-deactivate-and-delete-device#deactivate-and-delete-a-cloud-appliance

You may also want to consider factory resetting the devices back, the process for this can be seen here in this blog post -  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storsimple/storsimple-8000-deactivate-and-delete-device

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click Here

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 12:44 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply.
    I no longer have a subscription to Azure. From memory (it was about 2 years ago that I did it so I can't remmeber 100%) I had deactivated the device from the Azure StorSimple Device Manager but not sure if I deleted the data.

When I try and wipe via the serial/console cable using the command Reset-HcsFactoryDefault  I get the error:

The factory reset operation on this version of factory default image is not supported

Cheers

Hunt

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:54 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed response, are you still finding any issue on the above-mentioned query? 

Have you tried the -Force option?

"Start a factory reset using -Scope Cluster, making sure to run the Reset-HcsFactoryDefault command on both controllers and not just one. You will have to get the controllers into support mode to start the reset."

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 10:41 AM
  • Hi all,
    We are no longer needing to deploy this device into production so we need to wipe the data off the device.
    I have tried running:

Reset-HcsFactoryDefault -force

But I get the below error:

The peer controller is unreachable at the moment. Please ensure the peer
    controller is running and healthy for a dual controller factory reset
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (The peer contro...r factory r
       eset:String) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : The peer controller is unreachable at the moment
       . Please ensure the peer controller is running and healthy for a dual cont
      roller factory reset

When I try and log into the peer controller I get:

The peer controller is not reachable. Please make sure the peer controller is Online and try again.

Any ideas?

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:35 AM
  • @Hunt_Redbeard Firstly, apologies for the delay in responding here and any inconvenience this issue may have caused. In order to factory reset the devices they need to be in healthy state from hardware perspective.

If you have a support plan, I request you file a support ticket, else please do let us know, we will try and help you get a one-time free technical support. In this case, could you send an email toAzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com referencing this thread and subscription ID. Please mention "ATTN subm" in the subject field. Thank you for your cooperation on this matter and look forward to your reply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, July 15, 2019 12:19 PM
  • Hi,

Ok so the only way to actually wipe the data would be to take the disks out and manually wipe them one by one?

Monday, August 5, 2019 6:01 AM
  • You can perform factory reset, the best option to complete wipe to contact Microsoft.

If you need to reset your device to factory default settings, contact Microsoft Support. The procedure described in this  link should be used only in conjunction with Microsoft Support.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:22 PM
  • @Hunt_Redbeard Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:40 AM
  • I 'think' the data was deleted when the device was de-activated but I am now sure.
    I am unable to log a ticket with Microsoft unless I pay for a support contract, which I am un-willing to do.

How smart are the units? If I move all the drives around, will it rebuild the RAID or will it be broken?

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:46 AM
  • We will try and help you get a one-time free technical support. In this case, could you send an email toAzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com referencing this thread and subscription ID. Please mention "ATTN subm" in the subject field. Thank you for your cooperation on this matter and look forward to your reply.
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:07 AM
  • Thank you very much. I have sent the email.

All I want is to wipe or have confirmed that it was wiped previously.

Thanks again

Hunt

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:13 AM
  • Please share the SR number!
    Once the issue is been fixed, Please share the troubleshooting steps which would benefits for other community member who are looking on this thread. If you need any assistance in the future, Please feel free to contact us anytime 
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:56 AM