TFS Power Tools 2010 Context Menu via Shortcut RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have my TFS project mapped to a local hdd (i.e. C:\Projects\MyProject\)

Right clicking on the folder or any file in the folder pops up TFPT context menu with all the options (checkin, checkout etc)...and everything works as expected.

Now, if I create a shortcut to the project (C:\Projects\MyProject\) on the desktop ... right clicking the shortcut pops up TFPT context menu as expected but none of the commands work (clicking on checkout does nothing for example)

This is only an issue on Win7 x64 ... on WinXp x86 everything works fine.

Thanx

V

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Vuli74,

Thanks for your post!

Do you mean in the Windows Explorer, you can right click the mappled folder and can find the Team Foundation Server, and when you sent to desktop, you cannot find that option?

However, I test it on my machine, and I can find that option, and it works fine.

Can you make sure if the folder shotcut the the right on the desktop?

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Hi

Yes, in windows explorer.
    Basicaly I can check-out a file by right clicking it but I can not check-out a file by right clicking on its shortcut

...and yes it is a valid shortcut.

Look at the first image ( i45.tinypic.com/332m81u.png ). You can see I am rightclicking on the frmAxes_Drifting.cs and selecting "check out for edit". This works like a charm.

If I try the same thing with the shortcut to that file ( i47.tinypic.com/33yj9xz.png ) selecting "check out for edit" does nothing.

I have tried this in WinXP and it works. It does not work in Win7.

Thanx

V

PS For whatever reason I cant post links or images so you will have to paste the image link path to your web browser

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Hey V, you may be seeing a by-design behavior change around shortcuts in the latest shell extension release:

Old behavior: If you wanted to pend a change on a *.lnk or *.url file *inside* your workspace (i.e. the *.lnk file itself was checked into TFS), it didn't work.  I forget the exact details, but it was probably acting on the target instead of the source.

New behavior: You are supposed to be able to pend changes on a *.lnk and *.url files inside your workspace.  As a side effect, the TFS context menu does NOT act on the target anymore.

You should be able to revert to the old behavior by deleting the following key (make sure to back it up first):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\TFSContextMenu

IIRC, VS 2012 is not supported on Windows XP, so I assume you are using an older version of the shell extension on XP.

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:26 PM
  • Hi<o:p></o:p>

I am using VS2010 and TFSPT2010 on both WinXP and Win7 (same versions).<o:p></o:p>

Unfortunately, the registry key does not exist on my Win7 station.<o:p></o:p>

You are right tho, about the issue.
    TFS does not act on the target in the *.lnk<o:p></o:p>

V

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:08 PM