Adding a single Calculation Group to AAS breaks most of the existing company Power BI reports! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I'm hoping Christian Wade or someone with influence with the product team(s) concerned will be able to help here. 

TLDR: As soon as we add a single calculation group to our Cube model - Power BI no longer honors the Format String for any measure in the cube.

e.g. a 10.1% will now appear as 0.10143243.

With Power BI being the recommended reporting tool in our business of course, with over 1000 reports out there, we cannot release something live that has this impact.

I have confirmed this is a known issue with the Power BI support team. It does honor the Format string it for Table, Matrix and Card visuals but none of the 20-odd other standard visuals and of course the more graphical ones are the ones that the business have made heavy use of along with Data Labels and Tooltips.

Apparently the Power BI dev team are only scheduled to look at dealing with the other visuals in the summer with no clear delivery date. That feels like this will be over 6 months to a year away!

I can only hope that the full impact of this has not been fully understood by the Product Managers. I wonder if it was assumed that it would only affect reports that started to use a calculation group and it wouldn't affect any of the pre-existing reports.

The problem is that it does break all pre-existing reports and right now all three of our carefully built Calculation Groups that we have been excitedly posting to our reporting community about are having to sit in a "parked" folder in our source control  -completely not releasable. We have other big plans for other capabilities that Calculation Groups unlocks - again which we are now having to shelve.

I don't think I can express how disappointing this is and will be a difficult conversation in our business. I'd really appreciate it if someone in Microsoft could ensure that someone with a strategic view of AAS and Power BI is fully aware of this in the hope that this did fall through an impact analysis gap somewhere and that this timeline could be revised for a faster resolution.

As many bloggers have written, Calculation Groups is a game changing feature of AAS. When we can use it, it will dramatically improve the user experience for our users as it will allow us to remove 80% of all our measures. Please allow us to use it!

Thanks for your consideration and support!

Thursday, February 13, 2020 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hello Brett ,

We suggest that you can add your case at https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6802457-uservoice ( if you have done that already ) . This forum is reviewed by the product product and it should help you expedite the ask .

Thanks Himanshu

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 2:26 PM
  • Some interesting information from this thread - https://github.com/otykier/TabularEditor/issues/380 that may help some people with this

If you remove the Format String from *all* Calculation Items, then actually you don't affect any of the existing measures. It just means that you cannot apply any appropriate format strings to any of the calculation items

It is only a workaround with limited use however as many uses of calculation groups would require changing the Format String and supporting Power BI Visuals, so for now this just means that we can provide this as a preview feature to our users but we aren't expecting any serious take-up until Microsoft fill this feature gap in Power BI.

Monday, March 2, 2020 6:29 PM
  • Hi Brett. Thanks for reaching out here on the forum. This is an issue we know about and we're actively working on it. We don't have a firm ETA but aiming to get it out by the summer. I know that's a little way off but please understand it's a priority for us!

Thanks for your patience

Will

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 7:24 PM
  • Another similar bug I wanted to raise attention to is that using the 'Export Data' feature of Power BI on a tablix that is using the calculation group feature gives an empty csv file.
    This is a huge issue for us, and just wanting to raise it in conjunction with this issue.

Thanks! Josh

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 12:25 PM
  • Hi Josh Ashwood,

Thanks much for bringing this to our attention. I have forwarded your feedback to internal engineering team. I will keep posted on this thread, once I have further update from the team. 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 8:16 PM