none
Custom VM on Azure Stack stuck in deployment state. But the VM runs when i SSH to it. RRS feed

• Question

• Its a Custom VM(NIOS-Infoblox) with Linux Base and upon uploading the image to blob storage its size is 250GB and when i try creating a VM from the VHD file(after creating an image) the VM is in Creating state  but fails after 45 min(which is the timeout for VM deployment) But when i check the console it it properly booting up. Why am i seeing this issue and how to know why this is happening?

Friday, September 20, 2019 9:44 AM

Answers

• Are you using the ASDK or a full Azure Stack integrated systems deployment?

This might not be a supported Linux image for Azure Stack, but it does sound like it does work in some form on the platform! Just because the VM is not in a "running" state does not mean that it will not function, however monitoring, extensions, and health reporting will not work. Depending upon what you are going to use the VM for, you might be able to still use it as-is. 

You can also try getting the image from Azure (that one should have a working agent) and try to port it into Azure Stack. The Agent might not work with stack, but it will have a higher chance of working than bringing a custom image into Azure Stack. 

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:30 AM

All replies

• Typically this happens when the VM fails to report its status to Azure Stack, and the deployment times out. This can be blocked by a NSG rule (outbound on port 443) or because there is an issue with the Linux Agent on the Azure Stack VM. You can find more information about the Azure Linux Agent on Azure Stack Here. To check what is happening with the Azure Linux Agent, you can find the log file at "/var/log/waagent.log"

If you are using an image that is available for download on the marketplace, it is best to use the marketplace image if possible. 

Friday, September 20, 2019 9:17 PM
  • Ok so the VM im using is available on Azure Cloud marketplace but unavailable on azure stack marketplace. And our VM is a Fedora based linux platform(Fc-12) and i find no information where we can include walinuxagent in my OS. 

Please do let me know how to go ahead! As i need to get this running on Azure Stack. And i find no resource about injecting WALINUXAGENT into FC-12 Machine.

"/var/log/waagent.log" There is no such file.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Are you using the ASDK or a full Azure Stack integrated systems deployment?

This might not be a supported Linux image for Azure Stack, but it does sound like it does work in some form on the platform! Just because the VM is not in a "running" state does not mean that it will not function, however monitoring, extensions, and health reporting will not work. Depending upon what you are going to use the VM for, you might be able to still use it as-is. 

You can also try getting the image from Azure (that one should have a working agent) and try to port it into Azure Stack. The Agent might not work with stack, but it will have a higher chance of working than bringing a custom image into Azure Stack. 

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:30 AM
  • Im Using an ASDK. Yes im using the same image as that of what was used in Azure Cloud. But i still see the same issue. 
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:49 AM
  • This is an unsupported image & OS version, so it sounds like what you are currently doing is going to be the best that you can in Azure Stack. You can also try to ask the company that made the image if they have one specifically for Azure Stack. 

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 11:07 PM
  • How is it possible that the same VM runs fine on Azure Cloud but does not run fine on AzureStack? Im pretty sure that there is no Waagent in the OS image. But how is it deploying well and fine on Azure cloud?
    Tuesday, October 1, 2019 10:00 AM
  • There are some differences in how Azure and Azure Stack handle the interaction between the VM and Azure. Most Linux images need to be validated and adjusted for use in Azure Stack. You can find a list of marketplace items available for Azure Stack Here

The Azure Linux Agent that Azure Stack uses is different from the one that Azure uses, and it could be a custom agent for that OS which is designed to work on Azure. 

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 8:34 PM
  • Well i found that there is a custom script written which acts like WALinuxAgent on the OS and runs on Cloud-Init command. And there was no linux agent but the script was able to update its health and status to the Stack.

Also As could-init isnt supported on Stack this is why the VM fails during deployment!

Thursday, October 3, 2019 9:32 AM