none
ClickOnce deployment on end user computer cannot find file c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a WinForms desktop App using VS2019 and C#.

For deployment I publish the app using clickOnce and publish to a file path.  On my development computer (windows 10 ver 1903) the application builds without errors and the clickonce publishing produces the file without errors. Also on my development machine the clickOnce deployment installs without errors or warnings and the app is installed and works correctly.

However, when I distribute the the published file to an end user (by sharing the published file on drop box) the clickOnce install fails on the end user's machine with the error message:

"Could not find file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0",  followed by a long string of characters and numbers.

Prior to using ClickOnce deployment I was building a setup up application within vS. I would very much like to use ClickOnce both for ease of development and ease of installation for the end user.

I would rate my development experience as more than a beginner but certainly less than an expert. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, October 6, 2019 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before you share the "ClickOnce", you need to copy all the files.

Regards,

Kyle

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:39 AM
  • Hi Kyle

Thanks for your response, but I'm not clear as to where I should copy the files. All the files you listed are present in the folder I shared. They were created by the ClickOnce process. Is there somewhere else I need to copy them.

Thanks

Monday, October 7, 2019 8:59 PM
  • Hi RKMinCalgary,

Only need to put them in the same folder. Or maybe you can try to delete the cache in the path "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0" and reinstall it. Please make sure there is no other ClickOnce software under this path to prevent accidental deletion.

Regards,

Kyle

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:18 AM
  • Thanks Kyle,

The files are already in the folder so I will attempt to invoke your suggestion regarding the cache. Since the install is on an end-user machine I can't expect a user to delete a cache and reinstall it, I will attempt to do it via code. I will update the Q and A with the results.

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:11 AM
  • I finally gave up on the clickonce installation and went back to the setup project, (using the visual studio extension) and was able to achieve my primary objective which was to have a simple install for end users, able to handle an initial install including a database and subsequent upgrades without impacting the data base changes that the  user may have made after initial install and prior to the upgraded version of the app. 

I don't see an option to close my question without deleting it so I will leave it as is.

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:23 PM