none
Duration calculating from Status Date, not Actual Start RRS feed

• Question

• I have several activities that are calculating the duration based on the status date, not the actual starts/finish. Did I change a setting without realizing it?

Example: I have a demolition activity that was planned for a 10 day duration. Start date was 9/5/19. I have the status date set as 9/16/19. When I put the actual completion in of 9/19/19, it changes the duration to 3 days. Any idea how to make this show the actual duration it took, not the duration from the status date? It is also messing with forecasted finish dates when I have an Actual Start date inputted that was before the status date.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:34 PM

Answers

• Duration....

Okay, after going through some testing, I am able to replicate what you are seeing. This is my understanding of how the two tasks are planned

Then an actual start date is entered, followed by an update

And finally, an adjustment of the actual finish date

What's the "secret"? Most likely it is the option setting (File > options > schedule group) to "split in-progress tasks".

Try turning off that option setting and I think your plan will be more like you expect.

John

• Marked as answer by Joe0606 Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:19 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2019 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

first of all: Status Date is something different and can be set on Project tab. You can set this for several purposes.

If you enter an Actual Finish Date, this will adjust the Finish date accordingly. This is just by design.

If you want to compare your original schedule with the current status, you need to set a baseline after completing your planning and before entering Actual Finish date. Baseline can also be set on Project tab. This will save the current schedule to baseline. E.g. Finish will be saved to Baseline Finish.

You can see the differences e.g. in vie Tracking Gantt or just show the baseline bar in any view using Baseline on tab Format.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German)

Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:58 PM
  • Duration calculating...

I'm not sure Barbara's response answered your question. If it did, please consider marking her response as the answer, but if not, let's make sure we understand your scenario better so we can provide some help.

If you are able, a couple screen shots showing the before and after Gantt Chart view of the demolition task would be very helpful (i.e. the task as planned and the task after completion). If you are not yet able to post images, a more detailed description would help. Please include these fields in the "before" and "after".

Task Mode, Start, Finish, Duration, Task Type, % Complete, Actual Start, Actual Finish, Actual Duration, Status Date. Also tell us the option settings under File > Options > Advanced group > Calculation options for this project and if your project is scheduled from the Project Start date or the Project Finish date.

John

Friday, September 20, 2019 4:10 PM
  • Hey John,

They will not let me post pictures. Line 488 "Demo-Arch" shows a duration of 3 days (original planned duration was 10 days). I have actual start and actual finish dates for this activity as 9/5 and 9/19, respectively. My calendar is set up as 5 working days per week, with Federal holidays as non-working days. No holidays occur within that time period. The actual duration should show 11 days, not 3. I have the "Status Date" as 9/16/19 so that when I did my update, it would push any activities that were supposed to start and haven't actually started to show a new start date of 9/16/19 (when I click "Update Project" I have the box checked to "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after 9/16/19). The duration Project is showing is the duration from the "Status Date" of 9/16 to the "Actual Finish" date, not from the "Actual Start" date as it normally does when I update the schedule. Also, line 489 "Demo - Mechanical" I have an "Actual Start" date of 9/12, the finish date should show 9/25, but shows 9/30 (which is 10 days from the status date again).

I've been using Project this way for approximately 4 years and haven't ever seen it do this until now. I am wondering if either I or someone else got into Project and changed a setting. Hope this helps illustrate my question a little better.

Thanks!

Monday, September 23, 2019 5:04 PM
  • Duration....

Okay, after going through some testing, I am able to replicate what you are seeing. This is my understanding of how the two tasks are planned

Then an actual start date is entered, followed by an update

And finally, an adjustment of the actual finish date

What's the "secret"? Most likely it is the option setting (File > options > schedule group) to "split in-progress tasks".

Try turning off that option setting and I think your plan will be more like you expect.

John

• Marked as answer by Joe0606 Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:19 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2019 8:15 PM
  • That worked! Thank you so much, John! It seems like that option is a default setting. I wonder why this is happening now and hasn't happened before. Either way, thank you for your time and effort to help figure this out!
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:20 AM
  • Duration...

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:57 PM