The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Snapshot VHD for Classic VM with storage in Classic Containers RRS feed

• Question

• Our company has a bunch of Linux VMs all created in the old Classic (Service Manager?) using "Classic" containers to store the VHD images. All the other resources used are also "classic" (virtual networks, etc).

I'm in the process up trying to update the servers, first by updating the Linux version (Ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04)  and ultimately updating them to newer (Resource Manager?) VMs, containers, etc.

Before I update Linux, I'd like to take a snapshot of the VHD in case I need to restart, back out, etc. However, all the instructions I can find only refer to new style resources and won't work for me. Is there any way to take a snapshot without migrating to RM resources first? Or should I just migrate the VM drives to Managed drives?

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 11:02 PM

All replies

• Great Question! Firstly, You can find all our migration information here which can be a good reference for the future

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/migration-classic-resource-manager-overview

Classic disks don't have the ideal way to create a copy as you will find with ARM resources. You are making the right choice in migrating as the new features are only designed for ARM so updating will greatly increase the options available. 

As per copying the disk, the best way to do this for a classic disk is to simply make a full copy of the VHD. I personally would suggest using Azure Storage Explorer

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/features/storage-explorer/

Storage explorer will give you a GUI interface that you can browse and find the disk you want to make a copy of. From there you can select Copy and Past the disk into a separate folder, or the same folder. Up to you. You can then rename the disk something like disk1-backup. Once this is complete the Azure infrastructe will take care of making that copy for you. Then you can proceed with the migration steps and if by chance anything does go wrong you will have a copy of the disk as backup. 

As an additional side note, we have made migration very simply. There is an option in the portal you can select when you are on the VM page that simply allows you to select Migrate to ARM and the platform takes care of the rest. 

Let me know if you have further questions and I am happy to assist :) 
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:17 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.

Friday, November 29, 2019 9:26 AM
  • Haven't had a chance to try the answer, though it sounds promising. I'll update once I do.
    Friday, November 29, 2019 7:55 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for responding. Looking forward on hearing back on the issue.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:35 PM