none
MICROSOFT PROJECT BACKUP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to expand all hidden columns of project plan in one go, further followed by backup.

Regards

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:11 PM

Answers

• Scatterworlds --

Your first requirement would be very laborious, as there are hundreds and hundreds of columns in Microsoft Project for both tasks and resources.  What I would recommend you do is to create a custom table and include in it the columns you want to see that are not visible in any default table.

Your second requirement is much easier.  Open a project you want to back up and click File > Save As > Browse.  At the bottom of the Save As dialog, click the Tools pick list and select General Options.  In the Save Options dialog, select the Always Create Backup checkbox and then click the OK button.  Click the Save button.  Microsoft will save the MPP file and it will save a backup with the same name in the same folder, but with the file extension BAK.  This setting is an application-level option, so you will only need to set it once.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Scatterworlds Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:02 PM

All replies

• Scatterworlds --

Your first requirement would be very laborious, as there are hundreds and hundreds of columns in Microsoft Project for both tasks and resources.  What I would recommend you do is to create a custom table and include in it the columns you want to see that are not visible in any default table.

Your second requirement is much easier.  Open a project you want to back up and click File > Save As > Browse.  At the bottom of the Save As dialog, click the Tools pick list and select General Options.  In the Save Options dialog, select the Always Create Backup checkbox and then click the OK button.  Click the Save button.  Microsoft will save the MPP file and it will save a backup with the same name in the same folder, but with the file extension BAK.  This setting is an application-level option, so you will only need to set it once.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Scatterworlds Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot Dave, appreciate prompt response.

Kindly advise for a backup via a Macro or Chrone Job to Google Sheet.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:09 PM
  • Scatterworlds --

My name is Dale, not Dave, by the way.  Regarding a macro or Chrome job, that's out of my league.  Perhaps someone else in this user forum can help you with that.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:54 PM
  • Scatterworlds,

I'm not sure what you mean by "Google Sheet" but Project files can only be saved to a limited number of formats (see list under Save As > drop down from "save as type"). I assume it's possible to save to one of those types (perhaps XML) and then save/convert that to your Google Sheet. You can get the VBA code for the first part using the FileSaveAs Method, or by simply recording a macro of you doing the process. If you want to initiate the process automatically, you can set it up as an Event macro every time the file is closed. However, code for saving that result to get into Google Sheet format is beyond the scope of this forum.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Thanks & Appreciate you Dale for the prompt response

Kindly advise if same procedure to be followed for taking backup from EPM

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:10 PM
  • Scatterworlds --

There is no need to use my procedure to back up projects that are stored as enterprise projects in either Project Online or Project Server.  If they are in Project Online, Microsoft backs up the entire Project Online database several times a day.  If they are stored in Project Server, your application administrator can schedule nightly backups of every project and maintain multiple versions of each project.

If one of the replies to your post has answered your question, would you kindly mark it as the answer?  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:27 PM
  • We use FluentPro to backup our projects weekly.  The same company also offers GA Suite for auto project backup.

NLuu

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:03 PM
  • As per the application administrator there is no option to take backup wrt an individual project while it's a complete consolidated backup only of all projects wherein in case of restoration to a particular date for a particular project only the same cannot be done as it will restore all other project data as well to a back date.

A detailed steps or procedure document to enable the same may help.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:36 AM
  • Hi,

Any advise upon the same may could be helpful.

Is any Macro available for taking daily project backup.

Also, advise for any event / recurring backup steps

Thanks

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 1:33 PM
  • Scatterworlds --

Before any of us answer your latest question, I think you need to tell us whether your organization is using Project Online or Project Server.  And if you are using Project Server, what version are you using?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:27 PM
  • Project Server 2016
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:25 AM
  • You can use the Admin back up and restore capability for Project Server - found in Central Admin in the PWA Settings (Manage) in the Project Server Application.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks Paul

Appreciate your updates

Is there any handy SOP available for the same, kindly share the link if any which you may have / posted by you in the past which will enable Me to take project specific backups vs taking consolidated backup.

Thanks

Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks and highly appreciate prompt updates

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:11 AM
  • Apols but I'm going to jump in here; Scatterworlds, can you use google?  If not, the link below will find you a plethora of articles using the search words "Admin back up and restore for Project Server"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Admin+back+up+and+restore+for+Project+Server 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Thanks Ben
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:20 AM