none
ADConnect not Syncing ProxyAccount for email Alias from on Premise AD to Azure AD (i am using 1.1.561.0 Version)

Question

• I have configured complete fresh configuration of Azure subscription for Office365 with Syncing On Premise AD to sync with Office 365 with ADConnect Version 1.1.561.0. 

User has Proxy Address Attribute as below SMTP:username@domain.com smtp:username2@domain.com

I am setting up new user with multiple  Alias, I have sync on premise AD with Password sync option with my Office365 subscription.  so only option to add Alias is through On Premise AD by adding SMTP:userName@domain.com to ProxyAccount attribute.

I have added it to multiple user which has Exchange Online License available but it is not syncing any of email alias to my Windows Azure AD. any thought ???

Thank you for your help in advance.

@ Soni

Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:44 AM

Answers

• For users with a mailbox, you need to verify the domain for the proxyAddress to synchronize correctly. It is only users explicitly marked as externalmailrecipient that can have a proxyAddress in a non-verified domain.

You only need to enable Exchange hybrid if you plan to have mailboxes on-prem and in the cloud at the same time. Some customers prefer to do a big-bang migration so they don't have to enable Exchange hybrid.

• Marked as answer by Amar Soni Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:29 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 3:21 PM
  • Hello 

I am able to find solution my self, to do the same i have downloaded Exchange 2016 ISO from partner source and then  performed below two steps. 

1: .\setup /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTer

2:

.\setup /Preparead /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /OrganizationName:"Enter Exchange Org Name"

and then i added alias with lower case smtp:alias1foruser1@domain.com smtp:alias2foruser1@domain.com to have alias added to my Office365 subscription.

Thank you, 

@ Soni

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:29 PM

All replies

• If the username2 is unique and domain.com is verified, then it really should be sync'ed. The most common reason a value is missing is because it is already used by another object in Azure AD. Unlike AD, where you can have the same smtp address on multiple objects (even if it doesn't work in Exchange), you can't in Azure AD. To see if that is the problem, you can use Azure AD Connect Health: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/08/30/todays-identity-news-improvements-to-azure-ad-connect-health-sync-error-reporting/

More links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/connect/active-directory-aadconnectsyncservice-duplicate-attribute-resiliency

Thursday, August 31, 2017 11:33 AM
  • Hello Neelesh Ray,

thank you for your response. I am sure that we are not using any duplicate object name in exchange or azure AD. but  still this project is in staging phase so still my domain is not verified yet. is this mandatory to Verify domain to sync all Proxy Address ?

i also googled something related and found that  i need to Prepare the On-Premises AD to support Sync. and then Configure AD Connect to Hybrid Exchange.

please give your thought on the same.

Thank you, @ Soni

• Edited by Amar Soni Friday, September 1, 2017 9:25 AM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 9:23 AM
  • For users with a mailbox, you need to verify the domain for the proxyAddress to synchronize correctly. It is only users explicitly marked as externalmailrecipient that can have a proxyAddress in a non-verified domain.

You only need to enable Exchange hybrid if you plan to have mailboxes on-prem and in the cloud at the same time. Some customers prefer to do a big-bang migration so they don't have to enable Exchange hybrid.

Friday, September 1, 2017 3:21 PM
  • Hello 

I am able to find solution my self, to do the same i have downloaded Exchange 2016 ISO from partner source and then  performed below two steps. 

1: .\setup /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTer

2:

.\setup /Preparead /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /OrganizationName:"Enter Exchange Org Name"

and then i added alias with lower case smtp:alias1foruser1@domain.com smtp:alias2foruser1@domain.com to have alias added to my Office365 subscription.

Thank you, 

@ Soni

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:29 PM