none
Creating duplicate project Microsoft Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am a new user to Microsoft Project.  I am looking to create approximately 160 duplicate sub projects of one master project.  So far the only way I have found to do this is by creating a new project and copying and pasting.  Does anyone know of a faster/simpler way to accomplish this?  
    Friday, November 7, 2014 6:08 PM

Answers

• First, I suggest that you do NOT use Copy/Paste.

Second, you could save the first project as a template and then start creating projects from that template.

To take it one step further, you could write a VBA macro that creates projects from the template. You might want to post the question on project customization forum, to get help with the Macro.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, November 7, 2014 6:15 PM

All replies

• First, I suggest that you do NOT use Copy/Paste.

Second, you could save the first project as a template and then start creating projects from that template.

To take it one step further, you could write a VBA macro that creates projects from the template. You might want to post the question on project customization forum, to get help with the Macro.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, November 7, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Thanks the template system has cut down on some of the work.  I think I will put something in the macro forum to get more information on that process.
    Friday, November 7, 2014 6:53 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Beside from Prasanna excellent advice, I feel like 160 sub-projects in a single master plan is a huge number which might impact your performance. As per this link (it is for 2007 but it gives anyway a good idea), 35 is the limit number advice for sub-projects in a master plan before impacting the performance.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, November 7, 2014 7:26 PM
  • Guillaume,

Just an observation but I think there is a misunderstanding with terminology. Although Matt talks about subprojects and a master, I believe what he is describing as a "master" is actually the basic set of tasks, (i.e. a template for a set of project plans), and not a consolidated master as defined by Project. And his "subprojects" are simply copies of his "master" and not inserted subproject plans.

I too question the number of duplicate plans. I'd be curious to know more about what he is trying to do.

John

Friday, November 7, 2014 8:18 PM
  • You might be right John, thanks for the clarification.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, November 7, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Guillaume,

I wouldn't call it clarification as I don't really know what Matt meant, but since he is new to Project I suspect he is not familiar with some of the terminology. I've been let astray more than once by reading exactly what a user posts, only to find out that their use of some Project terminology is incorrect. Of course I've also been guilty of misreading what a user was really saying in their post.

John

Friday, November 7, 2014 8:44 PM
  • Hi Prasanna,

May I ask as to why you do not suggest to use Copy/Paste?  

Thanks,

NLuu

Monday, October 28, 2019 7:45 PM
  • If you are creating 160 projects which will share a common resource pool (a separate file with just the resources in it) and be subprojects in a master project, then later when you track progress each day or each week, you will need a way to open each of the 160 files, move the status date up to the now current status date, save and close the file. You will need a VBA macro which opens every file in a folder because it is way too tedious to open each one otherwise.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2019 9:51 AM