Deep Zoom Composer - Known Issues RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone,
    To help us out with prioritizing bug fixes for future Deep Zoom Composer releases, let's use this thread to centralize all of that feedback. Please respond with any issues you find, and I'll try to keep this list updated with our progress in addressing them as well.

Open Issues

1. Transparent PNG support does not work when exporting as Composition.

2. Highest levels of details in Compositions are sometimes not composited.

3. Poorly worded/designed error dialog when stitching fails.

4. Occasionally, the design surface fails to display all of the images even though internally they are there (export works, ie). (link)

5. Aspect ratio in SparseImageSceneGraph is occassionally inaccurate.

6. XML output for SparseImageSceneGraph needs to be locale invariant.

7. Project files occassionally do not open - even if created in the same version of DZC.

8. Making the paths in DZPROJ relative instead of absolute.

9. Importing images whose names are the same but come from different folders leads to the wrong images being displayed on the artboard. This also leads to the wrong images getting exported as well.

10. Giving the user more control over where temporary images are generated, and having SparseImageTool provide useful error messages when disk space has been exhausted.

Thanks,
    Kirupa
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 5:40 AM

All replies

• I cant seem to open the solution file DZ creates in VS2008 with SP1 Beta. The error message is

"The project type is not supported by this installation"

I tried to open the same solution in Blend 2 and got a pop up message

"Opening "DeepZoomProject" failed:
    The imported project c:\program files\msbuils\microsoft\silverlight\v2.0\microsoft.silverlight.cshap.targets" was not found. Confirm that path is the <import> declaration is correct and that the file exists on the disk ....."

Jay

Saturday, August 2, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Hi Jay,

You need to have the latest version of Blend 2.5 (June Preview) installed:
    http://www.microsoft.com/expression/try-it/default.aspx?filter=prerelease

Also, make sure you have the latest version of Silverlight 2 Beta 2 installed:
    http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/installationFiles.aspx?v=2.0

Let me know if that works for you =)

-Janete
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 7:44 AM
  • I got both, just checked again but on Blend if I try to open up the solution file that was created by DP I get the above error message. Do I need Visual Studio also ?

Jay
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Just to let you guys know. I installed every thing on a brand new box and all worked fine.....now i just need to figuer out whats wrong with my box. may be time to unisntall and install vs2008
    Monday, August 4, 2008 1:06 AM
  • It may just be a bad install of the Silverlight Tools. Do you know if you have those installed on the other machine?
    Monday, August 4, 2008 5:28 AM
  • I hope these are constructive and useful comments, since I really like the product.

I am still having trouble with my 100 image tiles (each 8K x 8K pixels). I can create the project and export it in one session. But when I reopen it, I get about 65 of the tiles, (the rest are reduced to 1x1 pixels). It is also a pain to delete them one by one.

I also note  that the scroll bar for the added images is not friendly to arrow keys, and seems to be missing the bottom.

It might be useful also to give us a guide if there are any cache or memory settings that are more favorable to large projects, or if we should be using the SparseImageTool.exe?

I noticed that batch import/export was removed.

I would love it if one could press mouse wheel to pan when using the Selection tool.

Dr. YSG
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:50 PM
  • New bug and a fix.

Bug:  1)  Create a new project on drive C.  2) Add an image, compose and export the image.  3)  All is well.  4) deploy the image and use it in Silverlight Beta2.  5)  Move the complete directory to drive "I".  6)  open the project and observe that your image is not there.  (If you copy the project instead of move it then it seems to work fine.)

Reason: The *.dzprj uses absolute paths in the <Image> tag.  Since the image has moved, the project cannot find things.  (If I had copied the project then <Image> would still point to the images on C and it would think that all was ok.)

When you open the project on "I", after moving it, it cannot find the files and when you close the project - to try to find out what happened - DZC cleans out the <Image> tag.  So, it seems that everything is lost.

Fix:  Move the projects back to their original location and manually fill in the <Image> tag to point to the following files (in my case I only had one image per project so this is possible): 

<File>C:\...\myimage.jpg</File>
    <
    Tree>C:\...\working data\my_files</Tree>

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:41 PM
  • I guess the fix doesn't work.

There is also a <TotalSize> tag.  and I don't know how to restore that information.   By adding the above two tags the images are visible and you can compose and export but without the <TotalSize> tag getting restored I am not confident what will happen later.  I think it is safer to delete these projects and restart.

The moral of the story, at least as far as I am concerned is, don't move your projects after they have been created.

Using this information I went looking around in my other projects and found that there are several that have this problem.  The reason that they still work is because I copied the projects from the original locations and did not delete the originals.  So, I am going to look into each of my projects and try to edit the absolute addresses (the TotalSize tag looks ok).  I think I can correct most of my "large" projects.
    • Edited by K2P2 Monday, August 25, 2008 10:20 PM additional info
    Monday, August 25, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Kevin - I'll look into seeing if we can make all of the absolute paths relative in our next release.
    Monday, September 8, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Hi..

I would like to share an unusual experience using the 3 August 2008 version of DZC.

My project is 14 images wide, and 12 images high, each image being 1200x740 pixels in dimensions.
    I have laid out and tested my layout at my home computer, and everything looks just as i had laid them out.  So i copied the project folder to my ext hard disk so I could continue work at the office the next day.  However, just out of curiosity, before I left for work,\ I opened up my .dzprj in DZC and though at first everything seemed as I had left it the previous night, I noticed an anomaly.

As I mentioned before, my msi is to be 14x12 images, everything up til row 9 is as I had left it.  All my images on rows 10 to 12 however,  seem to either be in the wrong positions, or missing altogether.

When I say wrong position, meaning if I originally placed them as abcdefghijklmn, when I reopened the project file the images on row 10 were at hkajlgiencdmfb.  Row 11 was another different order altogether, row 12 was in the wrong order, and columns 7 to 14 were missing completely.

I'm sure I saved the project before I closed DZC the previous night, because the Save Project option was greyed out.

Any solution for this?  Because it is quite time consuming to have to always double check the layout when transporting/uploading to another location.

Thanks.  I can't wait for the final release!

tori
    Monday, September 15, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Tori - that is something that we have encountered as well, and we will be making improvements ensuring that what you save is what you actually get when you open the project again in Deep Zoom Composer.

Just out of curiosity, what locale is your computer running in? (EN-US, etc.?)

Also, if you don't mind, could you please e-mail me your .dzprj file to kirupac[at]microsoft.com? I believe I have an idea why that is happening, but I'd like to be sure you aren't running into an issue we are not aware of.

Cheers!
    Kirupa
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:09 AM
  • Hello to everyone,

I'm the author of the freeware AndreaMosaic that creates photographic mosaics. Those mosaics are made of many tiles, usually not less than 2000, but the program can handle very big mosaics (the professional version up to 8 gigapixel mosaics). I added an option that creates automatically a DZPROJ file.

Originally this option created an image for every tile of the mosaic. But I realized that DZC is having troubles handling a high number of images (for example 20000). The exports are loaded very slowly into the browser, and a lot of flickering happens because the images are not aligned perfectly. I don't know if this is an issue of DZC or Silverlight. The wrong alignment happens also with few images.

I modified the program exporting a lower number of pieces that compose the mosaic (see the Split Mosaic option). In that situation it was possible to create very large mosaics. The drawback is that I loose any information about each single tile of the mosaic because they are grouped into large images. It would be nice to have a silverlight project with some context sensitive features. For example when I click over a single tile a new browser window will open a link to the source image. Probably the only solution is to add some custom handlers that use a server side database for retrieving the currently selected tile based on the position of the mouse pointer. A local file is too big especially with very large mosaics (made with 500000 tiles!)

I think it can be useful to use AndreaMosaic for testing large compositions with DZC.

byee
    Andrea
    Friday, October 3, 2008 11:41 PM
  •  @Tori: I had the same problem, and managed to figure out what was going wrong. I've blogged the solution here: http://www.robfe.com/2008/10/how-to-fix-a-dzproj-file-when-deepzoom-composer-has-mangled-your-compositionnodes-ids/

Let me know if that helps!
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:54 AM
  • Hi there,

it seems like I am the only person with the problem desribed in the next lines.
    I already opened a discussion before with no solution, yet.

The main problem lies in the disappearance of several images after eporting my project as single images.
    It doesn't matter if I use silverlight or ajax export.

I made some tests and uploaded the final stand to:

http://www.ispam.de/deepzoombug/index.html

Maybe someone has an idea of how to fix that problem.

Tanks a lot
    Claas
    Friday, March 6, 2009 2:02 PM
  • I downloaded the latest version this morning - with an existing project (I haven't tried a new one yet) it invariably crashes when I select "Export".
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Hi Kevin,
    Does it happen on a new project as well?

Thanks,
    Kirupa
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:50 AM
  • Hi Kirupa,

I installed the Jun 2009 version and export my images as Seadragon Ajax + Export as a composition (single image). There are STILL images missing which I reported sometime ago. Is there any plan to fix the problem????????????

Thanks

Peter
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:54 AM
  • Using the latest drop, I have what I believe are two issues:

First, when using the Composer, if I zoom in or out on the main image, and then drag an image from the Images pallet, the newly added image is not scaled properly based on the zoom level, so it is essentially impossible to compose your final image once you zoom in or out.

Second, the export process has yet to successfully export my image correctly.  My main image is made up of a series of images that are 1890x3180.  And even in what I would consider a small export that consists 4 rows of 6 of these images, the export never matches what is shown in the composer.  My images are of the front and back of certain items - so my first two rows show the fronts, and the second two rows show the obverse.  When viewing the export, it shows 4 rows of the obverse.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry but I'm facing a lot of issues while using DZC.. i dont know if they are bugs. It works fine with one png image that has transparent background, but i add another such image ..it becomes invisible on dragging to the compose board, even on exporting there is no difference .. only the outline is identified.. what could be the issue here?

also I tried adding about 5 more images on the board with different visibility limits for them.. the output was almost zero. there was no action at all on my webpage on exporting.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:25 PM
  • I believe I have figured out what is causing my problems.  My front image and my obverse image have the same file names, but are in different folders.  So when using Deep Zoom, everything looks fine (in memory), but once the project is re-opened, the .dzprj file has stripped out any notion of folders, and the SourceImages folder only contains one version of my files (whichever was added to the project last)

Is there any way for the project system to understand either folders, or if a file already exists in the composition, it should rename the file (eg. file[1].png, file[2].png, etc.)

Bob
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Hi Bob - I will see what can be done about that issue.

Suru83 - how large (dimensions) is your image?

Thanks,
    Kirupa
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:51 AM
  • I have imported a 287.47 MB 27052 x 3714 TIFF Image and when Deep Zoom Composer is done importing the result looks corrupted.
    I have a screenshot.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi Kirupa,

DZ composer 1.0.1927.1, when composing, and after selecting a few images in the working area, then deselecting, the right panel titled "Layers" and showing images starts to scroll infinitively at a high speed. When I say infintivelly, it is not until the end of the list is reached, it is really indefinitively... As it is very fast I can't really see how the scroll is reacting but it seems that it is always scrolling down, showing all images in the list then going back to 1st image and continue to scroll until the end of times...
    I tried a few tricks to stop it, some are a bit magic : clicking an image in the working area and then clicking on the up arrow under the "Layers" panel title.

It's a strange behavior :-) But this doesn't seem to make DZC bugging more than that.

Other little things :
    When exporting to Blend 3 project (very cool option, thanks!) the project is working fine but when switching to full screen mode the mouse wheel is not working, a bit annoying.
    Image click (full screen or not) is also not working as in other exporting modes, instead of zooming the full image, the click is just interpreted as a "one step zoom in" command. I think this is something missing in the Blend 3 exported project.
    These two problems are not bugs, just issues.

Thanks for your work, DZ is really cool.
    O.D.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

I have faced the same issue that DotBlog mentioned.
    I was working on a few hundred images and while arranging them in the user control the images indefinitively and infinitely scrolls.
    The solution that worked for me is also similar to what DotBlog mentioned - clicking on the up/down arrow in the layers panel.

And about the issue mentioned.

"When exporting to Blend 3 project (very cool option, thanks!) the project is working fine but when switching to full screen mode the mouse wheel is not working, a bit annoying."
    This is not an issue, thats the expected behaviour of IE. Scroll bar doesn't work during full screen for IE

-Deepika
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 4:12 AM
  • HI,

Just to say that within the generated project there's some "dead" code, a few things that are here but not used. For example I found the file "DeepZoomHelper.cs" containing a very handy Behavior you can drop on the MultiScaleImage. And this is providing Wheel support in Full screen mode !
    I presume this code is unfinished, because in "msi_ImageOpenSucceeded" method there's a call to a method that changes the layout of the DeepZoom composition into a grid, just uncomment this call and the Behavior is just working fine...
    A work in progress I presume, that why this code is not connected ? So the question is : will there be some update of the "blend 3 export" model project ?

O.D.
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Hi DotBlog - updates to the templates will be provided in upcoming releases. Thanks for pointing out the unnecessary content inside that behavior. I will make sure it gets cleaned up for a future release.

Cheers!
    Kirupa :)
    Friday, August 7, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Having problems with the Output Preview.  Seem to be related to the 'Save As' relative/absolute file naming issue alluded to above and which I commented on.  I can't seem to get my 'external links' add to show up in the preview.

Also, the 'Preview' button in the 'Custom' 'Export' command has the Tool Tip of 'Preview your composition quickly...'  Hmmm, when I clicked 'Preview' it took 26 minutes to export and preview.  Not exactly 'quickly' (yes, I have a pretty up to date, strong performance machine)

Bruce
    www.maldivescomplete.com

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:35 AM
  • Yes, the relative versus abolute issue is a big challenge.  It makes it very hard to 'version' your work.  If you create ProjectA and are happy with it, but then want to go onto ProjectB to start a next round of development (very sound approach since DZ is so flaky), an obvious way to do this in any application would be 'Save As' with the name 'Project B' (in a new location/folder).  However, when you do this in DZ, the references to the XML and script files still point to the old source images in ProjectA.  The only work around I have found it lots of tedious hand editting of these files.

Bruce Lynn
    www.maldivescomplete.com
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:28 AM
  • Yep, scaling of images properly is a big problem.  If you look at my project on www.maldivescomplete.com you can see just how eratic the scaling is so that the 'pieces' don't fit together properly.  Good enough for eye candy, but not good enough for professional work.

Bruce Lynn
    www.maldivescomplete.com
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Has anyone found a solution yet to enable the Mouse Wheel (zooming) in full-screen mode?

Thanks...
    Monday, January 11, 2010 1:43 AM
  • http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/silverlightwpf/archive/2009/08/14/Using-Behaviors-to-enable-MouseWheel-in-Full-Screen-and-Out_2D00_of_2D00_browser.aspx
    Have a look. But doesn't it work out of the box wth DeepZoom in SL3? I'm not really shure...
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Thanks for the link!  I've bookmarked it so I can give it a try later.  :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:55 PM
  • I am having an issue with the composer where I cannot open a 53mb JPG.  The error message is: "The file [file name].jpg is not a valid image file"  Is there a reason that this is occuring?

File properties:

52.7mb

43200x21600 px

96 dpi

24 bpp

Thanks,

Nate

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:13 PM
  • also found this, converted to png to fix...
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:30 PM