Tabular model in Azure is larger than same model in SQL 2016 on prem? RRS feed

• Question

• I have the same model deployed to both.

On prem (SQL 2016) the model is 3.7 GB according to SSMS properties.

In Azure Analysis services the model is 4.7 GB but on prem SQL 2016 it is 3.47 GB.

What is the reason for this discrepancy?

Furthermore, the model using the metrics monitor in Azure shows the server is using 6 GB of memory to hold the model (with no connections, no processing happening).

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hello OneWithQuestions , 

Are the compatibility same for both of them ? I am assuming 3.4 GB is a typo , it should be 3.7 GB correct ?

Thanks Himanshu

Thursday, February 27, 2020 12:46 AM
  • Hello , 

We have not received a response from you.  Are you still facing the issue?  If you found a solution, would you please share it here with the community?  Otherwise, let us know and we will continue to engage with you on the issue. 

Thanks Himanshu

Friday, February 28, 2020 10:52 PM
  • My customer is seeing this issue, and the compatibility level is the same on-prem as it is in Azure Analysis Services.  It is literally the exact same model.
    Monday, March 2, 2020 2:50 PM
  • Yes, the Azure model is 4.7 GB in size.

2016 is mode 1200, Azure is 1500, and I setup a new SQL 2019 on prem, deployed the same 1500 mode model and it is 2 GB!

So on prem SQL 2019 is less than half the size for the same model and data in Azure?!

Monday, March 2, 2020 4:08 PM
  • Did you ever get anything back about this?
    Friday, March 6, 2020 6:25 PM
  • It appears that SSMS when using properties to view AS database will report differently depending if you are looking at On Prem vs Azure Analysis Services.

In SQL SSAS it reports (supposedly) the size of the file compressed on disk.

In Azure Analysis Services it reports the size of the tabular model in RAM (not compressed to disk).

Why SSMS does this is most perplexing and frankly, very misleading.

Friday, March 6, 2020 6:27 PM