none
SQL clustering across regions? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best practice for establishing a SQL cluster when two IaaS SQL servers reside in different geographic regions?

Use of traffic managers or load balancers for this seems clunky.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

Would it not make more sense to use Availability Zones for this so they're in different data centers in the same region? If you have a SQL cluster then you need a load balancer for it to work but the bigger issue would be the latency for the data transfer between the servers.  You may risk data loss in the event of an unplanned failover.

Thanks,

Matt

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:25 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Regarding your question.. Well by default you will have to use load balancers to configure the listener... One per zone since you are going to have to differents zones. Then you will have to modify each cluster network to use the same portprobe (using powershell). My reccommendation? Well you will use availability groups (since you are going to use different zones...) so, use it on Asynchronous mode otherwise you will hit performance issues.

Hope this helps!

regards! 

Friday, November 8, 2019 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

Can you confirm this is a cluster rather than AlwaysOn? AlwaysOn you would use async as mentioned above but a cluster would not do this as it would be Storage Spaces Direct in Azure to achieve this in Azure (currently)

I would not use a SQL cluster between regions as it doesnt make sense to do (I'd use a cluster in one region for HA with replication to the other so its treated as DR).  Whereas AlwaysOn doesnt have the same drawbacks and an async setup would work better.

But I would ask why it needs multi-region rather than Availability Zones in one region?  Typically you would have 2 nodes with AlwaysOn in one region with sync commit, then a third in the other with async as a DR node.

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, November 10, 2019 8:13 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer(s) helped.

If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread .

And, if you have any further query do let us know. 

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:16 AM