none
difference between a account versus a subscription? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the difference between an account versus a subscription?

Is a subscription a collection of accounts?

Is an account the same as a specific user who logs on the ARM?

Is a subscription simply a identification of a billing aspect of a group of logon accounts?

Can you have more than one subscription assigned for the same azure resources?  For example group A has a IAM administrator role while group B has only read access to the ARM under another subscription with a ability to create and add storage.  Both subscription represent different billing entities.   And each subscription can have multiple account which are users who can logon the ARM to perform tasks.

dsk

Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:08 PM

All replies

• HI,

A tenant is the top level hierarchy.There is one AD tenant with potentially multiple subscriptions for Azure. One tenant can have multiple subscriptions but each subscription can only have one tenant

Thanks,

Matt

Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:27 PM
  • (when I logon the ARM the portal states that this is my XXXXX@test.com "account"?)

I realize there are subscriptions ie O365,...   When you refer to subscriptions are you referring to services or actual user accounts that can log on?  Also noticed that my account when logon says pay as you go subscription.   Definition of subscription is not clear?

Wondering if I am confused between the term "account" and "IAM user"?  All the IAM users are created by the account (root account)?   Subscriptions just a type of payment plan for the account which is made up of IAM users.   The account gets billed by the vendor based upon the activities of the IAM users.  Why is O365 considered a subscription?,... or do we say O365 has a subscription? and this subscription can be a annual fee, a pay as you go, or a multi year one time payment?

And are other logons such as for HR or Marketing, or Finance considered "accounts" or "subscriptions" or just IAM users?  Am am referring to these departmental accounts as created below the root account?

When you are billed it is charged to your account?   If multiple accounts are created under the root account are these also considered accounts?

dsk

• Edited by kimdav111 Saturday, November 16, 2019 11:51 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 11:16 PM
  • Azure subscriptions are logical groups created for multiple reasons. Example one subscription for Production workloads and another Subscription for Development purpose. By doing this you can manage billing/spending separately.

A single subscription per "Azure account" may suffice for organizations that need to deploy a small number of cloud-hosted assets. Here account is not IAM user.. It is the top level of Azure hierarchy. 

Now we can call IAM user as 'an account'. Hope you understand the difference between 'Azure account' and 'IAM user account' 

Yes all IAM user accounts are created in root Azure account, in Azure AD. 

If you find my reply helpful, please “Mark as Answer” and “Vote

Get help on demand > expertise-as-a-service.com

• Edited by Nelson Thomas Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Nelson Thomas Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:31 AM
    Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:29 AM
  • Hi,

The subscription is the Azure account you log into.  You can create multiple Azure subscriptions under the same AD tenant if you wanted to (i.e. one for prod, one for dev etc) - these give you isolation of accounts and you can set different IAM permissions on each.  IAM is just permissions (think NTFS permissions on a Windows file system).

The below image (from Google) shows a graphical reference.  The 'subscriptions' here are different Azure accounts and the reader/contributor/owner are all IAM roles assigned to users for each subscription.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

Did that answer the question?

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, November 24, 2019 9:39 PM