none
Migration of VM's from on-premises with managed disk resize RRS feed

• Question

• I have used ASR for migrations and one of the biggest limitations was the ability to resize the disk to the next biggest managed disk size, eg if I have a VM with 100GB OS disk it comes across as a managed disk with 100GB Premium SSD, however I am charged the cost for a P10 therfore not accessing the extra 28GB of storage that I am paying for. This may seem snmallk but across 1000's of servers this can lead to a lot of $'s.

Does Azure Migrate have the abiluty to resize the Managed disk? If not will there be an option ofr this in the future?

• Edited by itsJasonF Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:14 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:13 AM

All replies

• A 100 GB managed disk and a 128 GB managed disk are both charged at the same rate. The only way around this is to use unmanaged disks. That is one of the major differences between managed and unmanaged disks. With unmanaged, you pay for what you consume. Managed disks only come in standard sizes and you pay for the full disk size regardless of how much you consume. There is no way to create a managed disk that is not a standard size. This is not an ASR/Migrate issue. It is how storage works in Azure.
    Friday, November 29, 2019 5:05 AM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer helped.

If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread .

And, if you have any further query do let us know. 

Monday, December 2, 2019 9:55 AM