none
Azure File Sync with servers globally RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large file share in London UK with around 2TB of data, I need to share this with some users in Sydney Australia, i've previously been using DFS to share files across the locations but these shares where much smaller.

I'm thinking of using Azure File Sync to sync the share between the UK Windows Server and the Sydney server. Azure file sync requires a storage account creating to host the files but where should this be created (UK South or Australia East)? i originally thought to create 2 storage accounts, one in each region and sync in Azure but you cant have multiple cloud end points. Therefore do I create the storage account in Aus East and sync all files (and disable tiering on the London server (so all files are synced) and then enable tiering on the Sydney server so only some files are copied to the server?

Is this is best way to do this or would you recommend something else?

Regards

Dan

Sunday, November 10, 2019 9:56 AM

Answers

• It makes sense to put the storage account on the side which does mostly read so you can make that side tiered and save on some disk space.

But the E2E latency of the changes propagating would be mostly the same - either upload will take long or download will. I.e. on the AFS side we try to minimize the network latency impact in a similar way for both download and upload so from that perspective it should be symmetrical.

• Marked as answer by Dan Harker Friday, November 15, 2019 9:30 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 9:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

If it is VMs in UK and Aus then File Sync will work well as files are mainly stored in Azure Files and just referenced by the local servers (but the files appear to be on the local file system on each VM).

Keep in mind that File Sync uses Azure files so they will have to be hosted in one of the regions, so files being accessed may be slower to the other region. But it still should be quite quick on the Azure backbone network.

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, November 10, 2019 8:34 PM
  • Hi Matt,

The UK side is on-prem (with a site to site VPN to Aus-East Region) the Aus side is all in Aus East (VM)

So i was thinking the Azure files should be in Aus East but the UK side would have tiering disabled (so all the files are local) and then the Aus side can have tiering enabled

Do you think that would be the best approach?

Regards

Dan

Monday, November 11, 2019 1:32 PM
  • It makes sense to put the storage account on the side which does mostly read so you can make that side tiered and save on some disk space.

But the E2E latency of the changes propagating would be mostly the same - either upload will take long or download will. I.e. on the AFS side we try to minimize the network latency impact in a similar way for both download and upload so from that perspective it should be symmetrical.

• Marked as answer by Dan Harker Friday, November 15, 2019 9:30 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 9:13 PM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:29 AM