none
Create a new key vault in a different directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been working with the Key Vault for the past few weeks and it has been very useful. However, I do have a question about creating new key vaults:

Using the New-AzureKeyVault cmdlet (or other cmdlets), how can I specify an active directory for the key vault to be created within? It seems that when I create a key vault in my subscription, the vault is created in the default active directory of the subscription. Is there a way to specify an active directory for the vault, or is there a way to 'move' the vault to another active directory? I have been all over the Getting Started material on the Azure website and the key vault blog and can't seem to find an answer to this. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your time/help,

--
    Nathan

• Edited by BillsFilms Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:57 PM

Answers

• Note: You must select the same directory that contains the Azure subscription with which you created your key vault. If you do not know which directory this is, click Settings, identify the subscription with which you created your key vault, and note the name of the directory displayed in the last column.

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/key-vault-get-started/

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your query. This would be helpful for others facing the same kind of problem

• Edited by Rahul P Nath Friday, February 6, 2015 4:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mang AlexMVP Friday, February 6, 2015 4:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BillsFilms Friday, February 6, 2015 4:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by BillsFilms Friday, February 6, 2015 4:58 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 4:06 PM
  • When you go through the process of Add-AzureAccount, The KeyVault will be created in the Default Directory associated to the Subscription that is currently set as current. At this moment in time there is no ability to be able to create a keyvault in a directory other than the default directory associated to a subscription but we have received consistent feedback about this request and it is something that we are currently evaluating.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:50 AM

All replies

• Note: You must select the same directory that contains the Azure subscription with which you created your key vault. If you do not know which directory this is, click Settings, identify the subscription with which you created your key vault, and note the name of the directory displayed in the last column.

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/key-vault-get-started/

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your query. This would be helpful for others facing the same kind of problem

• Edited by Rahul P Nath Friday, February 6, 2015 4:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mang AlexMVP Friday, February 6, 2015 4:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BillsFilms Friday, February 6, 2015 4:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by BillsFilms Friday, February 6, 2015 4:58 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Yes, that is how Key Vault currently works. However, is the functionality of creating a key vault in the non-default directory something that will be supported in the future?

This would be very useful for dev/test scenarios.

Thank you for your reply.

-- Nathan

Friday, February 6, 2015 4:50 PM
  • Unless there's a public preview to offer this functionality, there's little to no expectation to get an answer to your question ("... will be supported in the future?"), since it might as well might or might not.

However, specifically for dev/test scenarios, you might consider creating a different Microsoft Account and have that account of a service admin of a dev/test subscription, with a different directory assigned. Thus, you'll get you key vault created in a different subscription.

Alex

Friday, February 6, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Using different subscriptions is what I am finding out. Thank you for the quick reply. I will mark the original reply as the answer, since that will probably help others using Key Vault.

-- Nathan

Friday, February 6, 2015 4:58 PM
  • When you go through the process of Add-AzureAccount, The KeyVault will be created in the Default Directory associated to the Subscription that is currently set as current. At this moment in time there is no ability to be able to create a keyvault in a directory other than the default directory associated to a subscription but we have received consistent feedback about this request and it is something that we are currently evaluating.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:50 AM