none
Breaking apart a very large content database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a very large (650GB) SharePoint 2013 content database with a single site collection, that needs to be split into two in case we ever have to restore from backup. We would restore the ldf and mdf a from the previous night - we use the simple recovery model, so we do not roll forward.

Since there is so much data, I have tried:

1) restoring the ldf and mdf files and giving them new physical and logical names - and then attaching the database. With the idea of deleting about half of the data from each content database and shrinking the mdf files.

This works fine until I try to mount the content database - the mount will mount the content database, but will not show the new site collection. This is because the site collection has the same site id as the existing original site collection. If I unmount the original content DB, then I can access the new site collection and vice versa.

2) Backup-spsite and restore-spsite - although the backup works, the restore is extremely slow and fails after a few hours - I have tried a few times and it fails after restoring only about 10G.  This is all on an Azure staging environment which has no load on it.

At this point I am left with:

3) following approach 1) but somehow manually updating the siteid in the database - I understand this is unsupported, but if it works, I might try it - especially since I have only 1 site collection - how would I do this?  The site collection does have some sub-sites.

4) copying the data and metadata to a new site collection using a custom program or a 3rd party tool. This will take probably weeks to perform.

5) would splitting the content database into multiple physical files for the one content database alleviate the issue? 

I am looking for suggestions. Thank you

Marcel

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:36 PM

Answers

• You can't split a site collection across multiple CDBs. For site IDs, they must be unique per farm. This means what you'd need to do is run Backup-SPSite/Restore-SPSite, however that site is way too large to do so (limit is ~50-100GB for those cmdlets).

You won't be able to successfully manually update the Site ID, there are many many references to that site ID.

But based on your other thread, what you're looking at doing is largely unnecessary.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:43 PM

All replies

• You can't split a site collection across multiple CDBs. For site IDs, they must be unique per farm. This means what you'd need to do is run Backup-SPSite/Restore-SPSite, however that site is way too large to do so (limit is ~50-100GB for those cmdlets).

You won't be able to successfully manually update the Site ID, there are many many references to that site ID.

But based on your other thread, what you're looking at doing is largely unnecessary.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:43 PM
  • Hi Marcel Balcarek,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:03 AM