none
Azure Analysis Services as a Data Source RRS feed

• Question

• Are there plans to make Azure Analysis Services a data source that can be registered in Azure Data Catalog?  I see that SQL Analysis Services is supported, but not Azure Analysis Services.  If this is planned, is there a timeframe for when it will become availbale?  In the meantime is there a way an Azure Analysis Services model can be registered manually such that it can be opened in the Azure Data Catalog in Power BI?  It appears this can be done but when the option to open in Power BI is selected, although Power BI opens, it does not connect to the Azure Analysis Services model correctly.
    Saturday, September 23, 2017 12:41 AM

Answers

• Microsoft support has given me the information to correct this issue.  If you run into something similar it is probably because you have some client libraries that are out of date.  I was able to install the updated libraries included in MS SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 1 Feature Pack.  This can be downloaded here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54279

The specific components that needed to be updated are these:

1. SQL_AS_ADOMD.msi

2. SQL_AS_AMO.msi

3. SQL_AS_OLEDB.msi

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Derek,

Thanks for the question.

Azure Analysis Services is supported as a data source today – simply enter the service URL (in the form asazure://region.asazure.windows.net/name) in the Data Catalog data source registration tool after selecting “Analysis Services” as the service type.

Matthew - Azure Data Catalog Team

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Thanks Matthew...I responded directly to your email earlier today but just to post it here as well.  When I try the above, I get a popup message with the following error:

The connection string is not valid.

I am copying the connection string directly from the Azure portal and it is in the format you list above.  Not sure what else to do.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:04 PM
  • Microsoft support has given me the information to correct this issue.  If you run into something similar it is probably because you have some client libraries that are out of date.  I was able to install the updated libraries included in MS SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 1 Feature Pack.  This can be downloaded here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54279

The specific components that needed to be updated are these:

1. SQL_AS_ADOMD.msi

2. SQL_AS_AMO.msi

3. SQL_AS_OLEDB.msi

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:57 PM
  • Hi,

I could repro this issue on my environment "Windows 10 Enterprise x64" where I installed Azure Data tool before, not new one. and confirmed the workaround below.

Issue
    --------------
    When I accessed to Azure Analysis Services with full path "asazure://westcentralus.asazure.windows.net/xxx" as server name using the Azure Data Catalog tool, I get error "The connection string is not valid".

Workaround
    --------------
    1. Go to SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 1 Feature Pack  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54279  download and Install SQL_AS_ADOMD.MSI, SQL_AS_AMO.MSI and SQL_AS_OLEDB.MSI for x64 
    on your client machine.
    2. Uninstall Azure Data Catalog tool from “Program and Features”
    3. Reinstall Azure Data catalog tool from
    http://www.azuredatacatalog.com
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:22 AM
  • This work around does not resolve the issue for me.

I'm using windows 10, SQL Server 2017, SSMS 18.
    I followed these steps exactly and I still get the generic error
    "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
    when attempting to register my Azure Analysis Services server.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 11:31 PM
  • Hi Luke McCarthy Versor,

We have cross verified with the internal team and confirmed that Azure Analysis Services is not supported as a data source for Azure Data Catalog at this time. 

Please refer to this doc to know more about the data sources supported in Azure Data Catalog: List of supported data sources

Also there is an idea/suggestion shared in Azure Data Catalog feedback forum about the ability to register Azure Analysis Services in Azure Data Catalog. Please feel free to upvote in the feed back forum, which Azure Data Catalog engineering team will closely monitor and take actions accordingly.

Hope this helps....

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:46 PM