none
Install Project Uninstall msiexec /x not working RRS feed

• Question

• I created a very basic installer project for my application. The application msi will install and uninstall perfectly via the GUI, but when I try to run msiexec /x {code} all that happens is it brings up the MSIEXEC Command Line options window. I cannot figure out why.

The msi installs fine from the command line, just not uninstall.

• Moved by CoolDadTx Friday, September 13, 2019 5:04 PM Setup related
    Friday, September 13, 2019 2:35 PM

All replies

• I created a very basic installer project for my application. The application msi will install and uninstall perfectly via the GUI, but when I try to run msiexec /x {code} all that happens is it brings up the MSIEXEC Command Line options window. I cannot figure out why.

The msi installs fine from the command line, just not uninstall.

Are you sure that you are using the correct Product code for {code}?
    Friday, September 13, 2019 3:05 PM
  • yes, I have pulled the product code from the setup project and from the registry and both are the same.
    Friday, September 13, 2019 3:07 PM
  • What happens if you specify the msi file with /x instead of the product code?
    Friday, September 13, 2019 3:12 PM
  • I get this. But via Control Panel, or running the MSI again I can uninstall.

• Edited by rlawrimore Friday, September 13, 2019 3:18 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2019 3:18 PM
  • I get this. But via Control Panel, or running the MSI again I can uninstall.

This all seems awfully strange.

I'm sorry to say I can't explain what you are experiencing.

Have you tried opening your msi file with Orca and running the available tests?

Friday, September 13, 2019 3:32 PM
  • The validation test in Orca passed.
    Friday, September 13, 2019 3:39 PM
  • Do you have a different system that you can use for testing the install/uninstall of your msi?
    • Edited by RLWA32 Friday, September 13, 2019 5:17 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2019 5:17 PM