none
January 10th 2018 Planned Virtual Machine Maintenance Reboot Strategy

Question

• Referring to this email:

"

Dear Azure customer, 

Your Azure Virtual Machines (VMs) require an important security and maintenance update. The vast majority of Azure updates are performed without impact but, for this specific update, a reboot of your VMs is necessary. 

A maintenance window has been scheduled starting January 10th 2018 (00:00 UTC) during which, Azure will automatically perform the required VM reboot. An affected VM will be unavailable for several minutes, as it reboots. For any VM in an availability set or a VM scale set, Azure will reboot the VMs one Update Domain at a time to limit the impact to your environments. Additionally, operating system and data disks will be retained during this maintenance. 

Azure Service Health gives you a current view of which VMs will be impacted by this maintenance, including more specific maintenance times for each VM. To receive notifications at the time your VM will reboot, you can setup Scheduled Events. 

We strive to minimize the impact of updates on you. When service interruption is unavoidable, we are committed to supporting you through the process. If you have questions, please refer to the documentation links and support options below. "

I would like some assurance that there will be adequate time between rebooting VM's in one app domain to spin up services like databases before shutting down the other app domain.

This type of maintenance has previously taken off both our database servers for 10 minutes taking out services offline during that period because the reboot strategy only waits until the OS has booted and not for any application services to have fully started.

Previously I was informed that was a mistake and the intention was to allow 30 minutes between upgrade domains being rebooted, but I want some assurance this time prior to the event occurring.

Cheers.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:35 AM

All replies

• Why has virtual machines not listed Service Health, still got this maintenance scheduled?

Also, please provide more details on vulnerabilities/issues identified/fixes being implemented during this maintenance, as currently no information is given whatsoever.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:41 AM