[ ERROR ] Can't install .NET Framework 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I can't install Framework 3.5.

When I open the log file I get the following errors:

[06/07/07,21:09:51] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) WCF: [2] Error code 1642 for this component means "De Windows Installer-service kan de upgrade niet installeren omdat het programma voor de upgrade ontbreekt, of omdat de upgrade een andere versie van het programma bijwerkt. Controleer of het programma voor de upgrade zich op de computer bevindt en of u de juiste upgradepatch hebt.
    "
    [06/07/07,21:09:51] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) WCF: [2] Setup Failed on component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) WCF
    [06/07/07,21:10:06] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (x64) WCF is not installed.
    [06/07/07,22:46:10] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (x64) (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (x64) (CBS). MSI returned error code 6015
    [06/07/07,22:46:29] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (x64) (CBS) is not installed.

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

I would be grateful if someone could help me out! I really want to get "Orcas" running! Big Smile

EDIT: I'm Dutch and I have Vista NL so that's why there's a Dutch sentence in the log.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:50 PM

All replies

• Anyone ... ?

Today I downloaded "Orcas" Beta 1 and tried to install it. Also gave me lots of errors.

I also tried to install .NET Framework 3.5 on another PC in my house (WinXP Home) and it worked. But that computer is not mine ... Anyone knows what's wrong with my system?
    Friday, June 8, 2007 9:15 PM
  • having the same probem, i'm running vista and have 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 framework sdk's installed
    Friday, June 8, 2007 9:25 PM
  •  sandeepp2 wrote:
    having the same probem, i'm running vista and have 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 framework sdk's installed

Yeah, me too.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 5:11 AM
  • Me three...   :-(
    Monday, June 11, 2007 12:43 AM
  • CornéM (and any other folks running into the same error), please try the following steps and let me know if it works for you or no:

1. Open the Control Panel, select Programs & Features, click on the “View installed updates” located on the Tasks pane. Select and uninstall the following Windows updates:

- Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB110806)

- Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB930264)

- Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB929300)

2. Reboot

3. Reattempt installing .NET Framework 3.5.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:32 PM
  • I can't find these hotfixes, they are not installed.

Maybe that's because I don't have an English version ... ?

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

It appears from your log that setup is trying to install the MSI-based version of the .NET Framework 3.0 SP1, but on Windows Vista the .NET Framework 3.0 is a part of the OS so the MSI-based version cannot install.  However, setup has logic to check what OS version it is being run on and only offer the correct patch for that OS.  I'm not sure why setup would try to install a non-Vista patch on a Vista OS.

Can you please zip and send me the log log files named %temp%\dd_install* and %temp%\dd_depcheck* so I can take a look and see if I can figure this out?  You can send them to Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

Thanks!  Aaron

Saturday, June 16, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

I reïnstalled Vista Saturday and yesterday I tried to install "Orcas". Again it stopped when trying to install the 3.5 .NET Framework.

I just downloaded the .NET 3.5 Pre-release install from Microsoft.com and this time it worked. After that "Orcas" also installed without any problems.

So for me a Windows reïnstall solved the problem ...

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:34 PM
  • I just tried to run it for the first time and while 'configuring the environment for the first time' I get the following error:

"The Application Data folder for Microsoft Document Explorer could not be created."

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:52 PM
  • I had to install some remaining hot fixes through windows update, then after two reboots it worked...
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Greets,

At some point I realized that I was spending more time trying to load .Net 3.0 and 3.5 than it would take me to completely reload Windows and all my apps.  So here is the Oldog Brute Force .Net Installation Technique.

1.  Save all your personal files on a spare hard drive, external drive, Web drive, etc.  If you're not sure it's important, save it anyway!

2. Format your OS drive and do a clean install of your version of Windows, but ONLY WINDOWS, no application programs.

3. Make sure that Windows Automatic Update is turned OFF and leave it that way for eternity.

4. Load any drivers required by your hardware: chipset drivers, LAN driver, audio driver, etc.

5. Set up your Home or Small Business Network LAN.

6. INSTALL .NET 3.5 SPI FULL VERSION which will install the complete framework for 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 flavors.

7. Open Windows Update and install the few applications required to get the Update Service working.

8.  When Windows Update finally shows you all the downloads it has for you, CLICK "CUSTOM", NOT "EXPRESS"!

9. Go ahead and download anything that doesn't refer to .Net framework.  When you run across a download which will alter .Net, uncheck it and check the box that says "never show me this update again, ever in my entire life".

10. Reload all of your personal files onto your OS hard drive, and start reloading application programs.

11. Windows will harrass you constantly about having Automatic updates turned off and about having those .NET upgrades buried.  Just manually install updates every week or two, and don't worry about it.  (I let Win Update install one of those upgrades, and it shut down my monitor driver which uses .Net2.0 but will not run on 2.0SP1. If you let Win Update install an upgrade, chances are good that you cannot uninstall it.)

12. Like I said, this is a primitive brute force approach to the .Net problem, but it works for me.  I am running 3 Windows boxes and a laptop, and I don't have the time or inclination to continue to dig through a mountain of KB articles and forums and hotfixes.  Beyond the initial download to a clean new Windows install, I refuse to allow .Net to continue to shut down my productivity.

Genoeg is Genoeg !!!

• Edited by oldog_oltrix Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:07 AM Enquirer is Dutch
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 3:52 AM