none
How to Backup and restore ADLS Gen2 storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

looking for option to backup and restore adls gen2 data in case of accidental data deletion. what are my options?

Thank you

Rahul ambhore

Saturday, August 31, 2019 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Rahul,

ADLS is just Azure storage with extra features.  So the backup and restore is the same as other storage accounts.  You can use soft delete to protect data or backup the files remotely if you need to.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Matt

Saturday, August 31, 2019 11:20 PM
  • Hello Matt,

Thank you for reply,

I also initially though the same way however this is not true, soft delete feature not yet available for adls gen2 storage in fact all Blob service is not available.

any other solution that already worked or you aware any one used in prod?

Thank you

Rahul Ambhore 

Sunday, September 1, 2019 2:35 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

Backup for ADLS Gen2 is on our roadmap.

Meanwhile you can use soft delete option in ADLS Gen2 via Multi-protocol data access.

Multi-protocol data access for Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 will bring features like snapshots, soft delete, data tiering and logging that are standard in the Blob world to the filesystem world of ADLS Gen2.

Multi-protocol access on Data Lake Storage is in public preview and is available only in the West US 2 and West Central US regions. To review limitations, see the Known issues article. To enroll in the preview, see this page.

For more details, refer “Multi-protocol access on ADLS Gen2”.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, September 2, 2019 4:15 AM
  • Thank you, this is informative..do you know how soon we can expect t, I'm thinking to use in prod and without backup not good idea. My deployment is in East us2 so.
    Monday, September 2, 2019 4:55 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

I’m working with the product team and get back to you when I have more information.

Monday, September 2, 2019 5:13 AM
  • Hello Cheekatlapradeep,

do we have any latest on this?

Thank you

Rahul Ambhore

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 12:35 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

This is a roadmap item but don’t have concrete release dates to share. 

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 4:34 AM