none
Task Duration/Finish Date does not change if both Work and Cost resources are assigned RRS feed

• Question

• I created two resources - Internal FTE, which is Work resource type, and External Cost, which is Cost resource type.

Now, if I assign only one of the resources to a task, and then change the task duration, let's say from 5 days to 1 day, the cost table changes accordingly and I can see all the cost accrued in the day 1. However, if I assign the both resources to a task and change the task duration from 5 days to 1 day, it changes the cost accrual for Internal FTE, but does not change the accrual for External Cost. i.e. The cost for External Cost resource remains spread for 5 days, and apparently it result in the Finish Date of the task not being changed either. I found that if the Task Type is Fixed Duration, the External Cost changes, too, but I need Fixed Work task. Is this behavior by design? Can I somehow avoid this?

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 9:32 PM

Answers

• kaz_

This behavior is by design.  When you assign an Expense Cost resource to a task, in a sense, Microsoft Project "locks" the time span on the Cost information for the Expense Cost resource.  In your situation, it "locks" a time span of 5 days, even though you changed the Duration to 1 day.  The only way around this would be to remove the Cost resource from the task, change the Duration to 1 day, and than assign the Cost resource again.  This is one of the reasons why Microsoft recommended years ago that users do not assign Cost resources to tasks assigned to Work resources.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by kaz_ Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:08 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2019 11:07 PM

All replies

• kaz_

This behavior is by design.  When you assign an Expense Cost resource to a task, in a sense, Microsoft Project "locks" the time span on the Cost information for the Expense Cost resource.  In your situation, it "locks" a time span of 5 days, even though you changed the Duration to 1 day.  The only way around this would be to remove the Cost resource from the task, change the Duration to 1 day, and than assign the Cost resource again.  This is one of the reasons why Microsoft recommended years ago that users do not assign Cost resources to tasks assigned to Work resources.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by kaz_ Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:08 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2019 11:07 PM
  • Thank you Dale for your swift response. I understood that this is known and by design.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:08 AM