none
Azure File Sync - Registration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guru's

I am trying to register Azure File Sync Agent - but the company servers have policies in place to prevent opening of webpages. Is there an option to perform registration via PowerShell or CLI?

thanks

Kazza

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Kazza,

All Azure File Sync related Powershell cmdlets can be found here, including Register-AzStorageSyncServer. Depending on if your company allows that outbound traffic give it a try.

---On the road to MVP---

• Marked as answer by Kazza87 Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:04 PM
  • If you can't sign in via a web page, I'd recommend using the Sign in with a service principal method, mentioned here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/azure/authenticate-azureps?view=azps-2.6.0
    The same documentation also provides multiple methods of sign in. Let me know if this helps.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Kazza,

All Azure File Sync related Powershell cmdlets can be found here, including Register-AzStorageSyncServer. Depending on if your company allows that outbound traffic give it a try.

---On the road to MVP---

• Marked as answer by Kazza87 Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the useful suggestion!

Before running Register-AzStorageSyncServer I need to login to Azure. When I run Login-AzAccount from PowerShell-ISE I get a sign-in dialogue box with nothing in it. Not sure what is blocking it. The server has direct internet access and no Proxy is configured / needed.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:34 PM
  • If you can't sign in via a web page, I'd recommend using the Sign in with a service principal method, mentioned here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/azure/authenticate-azureps?view=azps-2.6.0
    The same documentation also provides multiple methods of sign in. Let me know if this helps.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 4:29 PM
  • Thank you both, I used:

$Credential= Get-Credential

Connect-AzAccount -Credential $Credential

Register-AzStorageSyncServer -ResourceGroupName "myResourceGroup" -StorageSyncServiceName "myStorageSyncServiceName"

Registration succeeded.

ProvisioningState         : Succeeded

I assume now that normal File Sync / data replication will occur direct over HTTPS 443 using direct Internet access (as the server has a firewall rule allowing Source-Dest *ANY-ANY to Microsoft) 

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:22 PM
  • How do we get around the fact MFA is enabled on the Owner/Global Admin account?

Connect-AzAccount : AADSTS50076: Due to a configuration change made by your administrator, or because you moved to a new
    location, you must use multi-factor authentication to access

Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:39 AM
  • @Apologies for the delay!  You have register to the MFA. See here: Multi-factor authentication registration

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, September 27, 2019 9:32 AM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Monday, September 30, 2019 5:32 AM