none
QnA Maker's Metadata: what is it and how should I use it?

Question

• So, I am pretty with Microsoft Azure's tools. I was using Azure's QnA Maker Preview to develop a FAQ bot. But just today, Microsoft released a huuuuge update, making this servisse much more powerful, adding, together with other new features, the concept of metadata. I understood that it is supposed to make your system more powerful, fast and intelligent, but I didn't understand how it should be used and what exactly it does. Can anyone help me to understand this new tool? Thanks!
    Monday, May 7, 2018 8:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Metadata is a key value pairs you can add to QnA Items, it is optional.  You can use it to either strictly filter or boost certain answers you get back from QnA Maker service when you query it for answers later on.

For following example, you can see that we have a key value pair -- category:api, when you query for the question, you can use a filter to choose answer just with the tag category:api so that you can get more accurate answer.

Regards,

Yutong

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:34 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi,

We have our document for QnA Maker, please go and check it. It should be what you want. 

Regards,

Yutong

Monday, May 7, 2018 9:41 PM
    Owner
  • Hey Yutong, thank you very much for the answer. But I already read the documentation and, for me it's still nuclear what those metadatas are, what they do, in which scenarios they are supposed to be used and etc. Could you help me understand it?
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

Metadata is a key value pairs you can add to QnA Items, it is optional.  You can use it to either strictly filter or boost certain answers you get back from QnA Maker service when you query it for answers later on.

For following example, you can see that we have a key value pair -- category:api, when you query for the question, you can use a filter to choose answer just with the tag category:api so that you can get more accurate answer.

Regards,

Yutong

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:34 PM
    Owner
  • I see... But how can it optimize the user's experience? How does the metadata makes the answers more accurate?
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

In the KB we built, there will be some similar question-answer pairs. It will make the result confuse to our customers. 

For example, for question "What is 'fruit'?", the answer could be "It is a noun." or "It is a kind of food."

If we have the metadata, we can make tags for the QnA pairs and help users get what they want more.

Regards,

Yutong

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:46 PM
    Owner
  • Upto this statement ok I understood, but can you please show it in action, I mean how the different queries will be for the both answers.

I tried with metadata, I got the same answer for the both query

Thank you in advance

Sino

Sunday, September 23, 2018 4:17 PM
  • Upto this statement ok I understood, but can you please show it in action, I mean how the different queries will be for the both answers.

I tried with metadata, I got the same answer for the both query

Thank you in advance

Sino

HI Microsoft Gurus!

I have the same question. I read all articles - but it is still unclear for me.

I create similar example - and it answers me with only single fisrt answer. How i should make it work?

My understanding was something like:

1. I have 2 similar questions, but with different answers - e.g. "what is you office location?" - and there would be different answers for different countries

2. Then i add different metadata"country:Switzerland" and "country:Russia" for this 2 questions

3. My though was - i ask  "what is you office location?" - and have some answer

4. But if i ask "what is you office location in Russia?" - i have a proper andwer based on metadata

But it DO NOT works like this :)

If you can share more details - it would be great!

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:26 AM