none
Sometimes have DVD drive in Azure VMs-sometimes not RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I recently created 6 2012-R2 VMs in Azure using PowerShell. I used the same script only changing the name parameters to create all of the VMs.

Upon completion, four of these VMs have DVD drives, & two of them do not.

What caused this behavior & how can I control it?

Friday, February 16, 2018 4:09 PM

All replies

• I understand you used the same script for deployment of all the VMs, just to clarify/confirm do the other 2 VMs run the same edition of Windows 2012-R2? Are they running the same VM SKU/size?

On the problematic (2) VMs, you may try the following:

1. Reboot and see if you experience the same behavior (If not done already).
    2. Check and update the DVD/CD-ROM drive drivers as appropriately.
    3. You may also consider redeploying the VM to a new Azure Node (Redeploy Windows virtual machine to new Azure node).
      When you redeploy a VM, it moves the VM to a new node within the Azure infrastructure and then powers it back on, retaining all your configuration options and associated resources.

Note:  After you redeploy a VM, the temporary disk is lost, and dynamic IP addresses associated with virtual network interface are updated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, February 16, 2018 7:26 PM
  • Yes, same size, same Windows edition.
    I have rebooted all of the VMs, but I have not re-deployed them. I can re-deploy when I get a few extra minutes to see what happens.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for update. Sure, do let us know how the re-deployment goes. Also ensure that the device drivers are up-to-date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:15 PM
  • The CD-ROM drive may be present if you use a marketplace images of Windows. It is used at bootstrap time for preparing & licensing the VM by Microsoft.

What I do now is move the cd-rom drive to letter Z and prepare the data disks I have from E to Y. This way I do not end up with surprises when the cd-rom drive get removed by MS after a re-image or host change on Azure.

More details & the script here:

https://www.codeisahighway.com/prepare-data-disks-for-stability-and-consistency-in-azure-throughout-virtual-machines-and-scale-sets-lifecycle/

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:16 PM