none
Connectivity issue with SQL Azure v12 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We recently updated our SQL Azure database to v12, since then we notified some connectivity issues:

Database 'xxx' on server 'xxx' is not currently available. If the problem persists, contact customer support, and provide them the session tracing ID of '4A62F39E-F71D-40AB-87A0-7049E156B7DD'.

Any ideas why? It was not happening before upgrading to v12.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hello Charles,
    Thank you for reaching out here and reporting this. Could you please send me an email to FRISTNAME.LASTNAME@microsoft.com with your subscritpion id, server and database name? We would like to take a closer look at this issue.
    Thank you,
    Jan
    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is an outage with SQL for the mentioned regions: North Europe, North Central US, West Europe, Central US and Australia East. Check if your SQL database is located in these regions.

If the outage is not in your region, then try the below steps.

Did you add your IP to the database's firewall? Or maybe your Internet provider provided a new IP address that not in white list.

You can follow this guide to add a new IP rule in database's firewall : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj553530.aspx 

1. From the Management Portal, click SQL Databases. All databases and their corresponding servers are listed here.

2. Click Servers at the top of the page.

3. Click the arrow beside the server for which you want to manage firewall rules.

4. Click Configure at the top of the page.

• To add the current computer, click Add to the Allowed IP Addresses.
      • To add additional IP addresses, type in the Rule NameStart IP Address, and End IP Address
      • To modify an existing rule, click any of the fields in the rule and modify.
      • To delete an existing rule, hover over the rule until the X appears at the end of the row. Click X to remove the rule.
    5. Click Save at the bottom of the page to save the changes.

6. Check the Microsoft Azure Service Dashboard for any known outages.   

Hope this helps you

Girish Prajwal

• Proposed as answer by Girish Prajwal Thursday, April 9, 2015 5:38 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:39 PM
  • Our instance is in East US so it was not supposed to be affected, also this happens 2-3 times a day, we did not notice any pattern on when it happens.

The database is accessed from an Azure Website and we allowed access to our database to other Azure services, I guess that if it was an issue with the firewall it would always happen and it would be impossible to connect to the database.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:49 PM
  • Hello Charles,
    Thank you for reaching out here and reporting this. Could you please send me an email to FRISTNAME.LASTNAME@microsoft.com with your subscritpion id, server and database name? We would like to take a closer look at this issue.
    Thank you,
    Jan
    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:41 PM
  • I now have an open ticket now with Microsoft regarding this issue.

Teleopti have 12 instances running and never had this issue on V2 (aka V11)
    Now after upgrading to v12 (7 instances so far) we are experiencing connection outages. On average 3 times per 24 hours lasting for 30 secs - 90 secs. Currently I'm experiencing a 60min(!) connection outage on one of our production instances on V12. Saying none of our applications/service/web apps can logon to the instance, nor can i from SSMS.

90 sec  per 24 hours = 99.1%

Our support technician asked us to implement re-connect logic which we already in have place (via Hangfire, nhib). As second idea he asked us to use "contained database users".

Could the upgrade wiht a IP re-direction from the old IP => new IP have anything to do with this?

"Reconfigurations are a normal occurrence and should be expected from time to time. They can occur for many reasons such as balance and deployments in the region of your server.  If a reconfiguration typically takes more than a minute or two, we can investigate if there was a larger underlying reason.  However, in this case the timeframe was considered a normal length for a Reconfiguration. 

One of the most common errors seen with Reconfigurations and connection attempt failures is a 40613 error.  Here is more information on the connection recommendations for Azure SQL DB. "

Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:53 PM
    • Edited by Thomas B_65 Friday, November 20, 2015 9:24 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 9:24 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

The team would like to understand better the nature of the outages you are experiencing. In order to investigate we need more info from you. Could you please contact me with details (server/database names) at mihaelab at microsoft dot com?

Thanks,

Mihaela

Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Hi David,

Could you please contact me with details (server/database names) at mihaelab at microsoft dot com? We are going to take a closer look to understand the root cause of the outages.

Thanks,

Mihaela

Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:32 PM