Creating a new cluster is really slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I am trying to set up a new AKS instance:

agentpool
    Creating
    Linux
    Standard_B2ms

The main problem that i am having is that for 54min it is provisioning and it is still not done and i still can't use the cluster at all. There is also no output on what it is actually doing.

So what is next?

UPDATE:
    After all this time i get the error. Container Service is in failed state, create support request. This means that Azure is unable to provision but is also asking extra money for their support. 

Best,

Pim

Sylishness is the Keyword

• Edited by Dirkos87 Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The instance you selected "Standard_B2ms" is a B series VM (Burstable). B series VMS run on baseline performance and save credits. Then uses the credits when neede. Once the credits are expired then, It will move back to the baseline performance. This means that though your VM shows that it has 8 GB memory, It wont be able to use all 8 GB all the time.

These vms are suitable for specific workloads only and are cheaper than normal vms.

Since you have selected only one VM, That dont have enough resources to run the required containers.

When a cluster is created, By default some pods (like kubeproxy, coredns, omsagent) are placed on each nodes.

Apart from that metrics server and kubernetes dashboard is also placed on the cluster.

Single B series VM (Standard_B2ms) wont be able to handle this load. If it successfully places all the pods also, You wont be able to add additional apps on the cluster.

Its recommended to have at least 3 nodes of size Standard DS2 v2. Thats the default option which we see when we create a cluster from the portal.

Please delete the old cluster and try again with 3 nodes of Standard DS2 v2 and let me know what happens.

It should go well.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:17 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. 

The things that you mention could be valid but you also have the B instance in that list. Deleting of the thing is also not possible and is also taking more than an hour.

I now picked europe north as region and over there it works fine?

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:23 AM
  • HI,

Yes.  Currently there is no restriction for choosing the VM type.  We can choose based on the workloads.

Is it working in north Europe with the single Standard_B2ms instance?

I can take that as a feedback(not showing B series for AKS) and forward it tot he product team. 

Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:02 AM
  • Hi,

Can you please go thought he above reply and provide the info

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

Can you please go thought he above reply and provide the info

Well yes it is working in Europe North but i want all my infrastructure to be in Europe West?

So removing it is the best option? I dont think that its a real good one

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

It would have failed because of the resource crunch.

Please send your subscription id and the failed cluster name to this email id AzCommunity@microsoft.com along with this thread URL

I will check the reason for the failure internally and share with you.

If needed we can open a support case for assistance.

Friday, September 20, 2019 12:08 PM
  • Any update on this after working with Technical Support? 
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:27 PM
    Owner