none
Can the automatically created Storage accounts be safely deleted? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to keep the Azure costs down. My 2nd biggest expense item is Storage (the 1st being SQL database.) I have two storage accounts, which I did not create myself, they were created automatically.

One is called myresourcegroupdi596 in the myresourcegroup resource group, and the other has a randomly generated name in the cloud-shell-storage-eastus resource group. 

My question is: can I safely delete these storage accounts? Will it affect anything? I am currently using Azure to host several web sites on a Windows 2012 VM with IIS, and two relatively small SQL databases.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, September 14, 2019 11:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check EVERYTHING that is in there before deleted anything.  Is this actually much cost?  If it is then it isnt only being used for Cloud Shell as that just logs minimal data when you use cloud shell via Azure.

The myresourcegroupdi596  probably has things on it as that is not a default account.  

If there is a high cost here then you may be incorrectly using the account for something else.

How much is the charge for this?

If anything costs over a few pence a month then it is in use and you should not delete without checking whats in there.

Thanks,

Matt

Saturday, September 14, 2019 7:28 PM
  • Matt,

Thanks for responding.

I created an Azure account and transferred several web sites and databases to Azure about 2 weeks ago, and I already run up huge costs somehow: $100 for the SQL databases, and $12 for Storage. The web sites have very light traffic, there are virtually no database transactions, and there only about 50MB of data in those databases.

I even opened a ticket with Microsoft support and the guy said he can't explain why the costs are so high. Both my databases are on the basic tier and should cost me $5/month each.

How do I tell what a storage account is used for? I have a Windows 2012 VM with IIS that hosts my sites. Is it what one of these storage accounts for?

Thanks again.

Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:56 PM
  • Hi,

$100 sounds like a 100 DTU tier, which you could have on basic elastic pool.  Can you check the All Resources blade to ensure nothing is hidden?  If it is PAYG then you can see a breakdown via the 'Cost Management' tab and then Cost Analysis but it will only show 'SQL database'.

If you think you can lower the DB, check the resource graph on the overview tab and see what % it it using.  MAybe you can lower the tier? 50MB is low so that may be an option.

I wouldnt just delete storage without knowing whats in there.  You can view this via Storage Explorer if you download that or via the portal (likely under blobs). But $12 isnt too much so IMO it isnt worth the risk of just deleting....maybe try to lower the DB if that is possible.

Thanks,

Matt

Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:07 PM
  • If you click the DB, on the overview tab, does it show 'Elastic pool' on the main page or does it say 'no elastic pool'?
    Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:08 PM
  • I had originally created 6 databases and an elastic pool was indeed involved (a newbie mistake). I then assigned all databases to the Basic tear, and a few days ago, discovered a lingering Elastic pool resource under SQL server, which I promptly deleted, and finally I consolidated all databases into 1. The database has 5 DTU assigned to it, and currently uses 185MB with 500MB allocated.

I also deleted the cloud shell storage without any negative effects.

Still my costs just keep piling on unabated, see the image.

Sunday, September 15, 2019 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

Thats about all the breakdown you get in Azure.  But it does mean that there are $100 of SQL servers there somewhere....can you send a screenshot of all your DBs and also SQL servers (so go to all resources and then just select SQL and SQL Server in the product filter).

Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:09 PM
  • Yes, here you go. I currently only have 1 database left, called "shopping cart". Thanks a lot, appreciate your help.

SQL Server:

SQL Database:

• Edited by Peter Ps Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:20 PM
    Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

That's only the SQL server - can you also click the 'databases' blade on your screenshot to show the DBs?  Its the DBs that you get charged for with single DB, rather than the server.

It surprises me that MS didnt give you an answer....they have full visibility of your account.  

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:24 PM
  • You mean this?

The MS guy said he did not have access to my account, we even did a screen sharing session with him using Microsoft Teams.

Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:29 PM
  • Yeah thanks.  So just the one DB left.  And its definitely not still in an elastic pool?  If you click the DB and check the 'Overview' blade, it doesnt say anything under the 'elastic pool' header?

Thats the problem with free support I guess....you dont get very good people.  They will have access to it, so not sure why they said that.

What did you delete on the 13th?  Was that the elastic pool?  The graph straightens out after that date so you may have solved your issues. Ignore the light green forecast as that is based on previous resource.  If it levels out from the 13th to now then it will continue at that rate. 

After looking at your cost graph closer, it looks like when you deleted the elastic pool, you've lowered the costs as it was linear until that and then levels out? If the darker green bit has been flatter since then it should continue like that.

You may have fixed this by deleting that :-)

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:39 PM
  • There are definitely no elastic pools left anywhere. I deleted the 2nd database yesterday, and the elastic pool a couple of days prior.

The green graph always looks like it is flattening out at the right-most portion, but the next day what was the a plateau becomes a continuation of the overall ramp. I have deleted everything to bare bones, and the angle of the green area (daily cost rate) is pretty much the same as before, it is refusing to flatten out.

You don't suppose this is because my VM is allocated 128GB on a premium SSD?

Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:48 PM
  • Hi Peter,

But those cost graphs over the past few days are normally accurate so it should stay to level out after showing that?

You have a VM too?  That should show as virtual machines in the cost breakdown, not Azure SQL.  But there is no cost showing for VMs?  What VM size is it and does it have SQL installed? Can you send a screenshot to show 'all resources' of the subscription if that can fit on a screenshot?

Those costs only show SQL and storage so I'm surprised there is a VM too...

Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:54 PM
  • Just checking in to see if you have had a chance to see the previous response. Could you share the above required information to understand/investigate this issue further?

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:55 AM
  • My cost curve has finally flattened out, and I am fairly happy with that.

But my original question remains: can I safely delete the last remaining storage account, which is called "myresourcegroupid596".

I did not create that account and I don't know what it is used for. I do have a Windows 2012 VM, for which I am not incurring any costs as of now (probably because I am still on a free trial subscription.) I am running IIS and hosting a couple of web sites on it. I do not have SQL Server or anything else installed on it. But it is assigned 128GB of disk with a premium SSD. I distinctly remember picking a less expensive disk option but this is what I ended up having somehow.

So it is safe to delete this storage account? My storage cost is 2nd largest.

• Edited by Peter Ps Sunday, September 22, 2019 12:30 PM
    Sunday, September 22, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

If it is costing you a noticeable amount of money then it must be in use....you only pay for what you use so a cost means it has data on it. I would not delete that.

Thanks,

Matt

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 1:25 AM