none
Inbound NAT Rule portal Support for Load Balancers associated to Virtual Machine Scale Sets

Question

• Currently, if you attempt to add or edit an Inbound NAT Rule on a Load Balancer with an association to a Virtual Machine Scale Set, you receive a warning stating:

"Full virtual machine scale set support for the portal is coming soon. Adding or editing references between load balancers and scale set virtual machines is currently disabled for load balancers to contain an existing association with a scale set"

Could we please get an ETA on this? I believe it's holding up several integration activities with regards to Docker Enterprise.

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:11 PM

All replies

• This work is planned, and expected to light up in Summer of this year. In the short term, Azure CLI 2.0 or Azure PowerShell is the recommended method to edit Load Balancer NAT rules.
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:32 PM
    Answerer
  • I'll give it a try using the CLI 2.0 over the weekend and come back if I have issues (or instructions on the workaround).
    Friday, March 24, 2017 8:08 AM
  • i used these commands but rule is not added in azure portal:

PS C:\>$slb = Get-AzureRmLoadBalancer -Name "MyLoadBalancer" -ResourceGroupName "MyResourceGroup"
    PS C:\> $slb | Add-AzureRmLoadBalancerInboundNatRuleConfig -Name "NewNatRule" -FrontendIPConfiguration $slb.FrontendIpConfigurations[0] -Protocol "Tcp" -FrontendPort 80 -BackendPort 80 -EnableFloatingIP
    PS C:\> $slb | Set-AzureRmLoadBalancerInboundNatRuleConfig -Name "NewNatRule" -FrontendIPConfiguration $slb.FrontendIpConfigurations[0] -Protocol "Tcp" -FrontendPort 80 -BackendPort 80

command output:

{
             "Name": "NewNatRule",
             "Id": "/subscriptions/96b761b2-0307-45ca-a704-dc2cda5c129b/resourceGroups/myrg1/provider
         s/Microsoft.Network/loadBalancers/myscalesetLb/inboundNatRules/NewNatRule",
             "FrontendPort": 80,
             "EnableFloatingIP": true,
             "FrontendIPConfiguration": {
               "Id": "/subscriptions/96b761b2-0307-45ca-a704-dc2cda5c129b/resourceGroups/myrg1/provid
         ers/Microsoft.Network/loadBalancers/myscalesetLb/frontendIPConfigurations/LoadBalancerFrontE
         nd"
             },
             "BackendPort": 80,
             "Protocol": "Tcp"
           },

• Edited by Dragan979 Monday, October 16, 2017 8:26 PM
    Monday, October 16, 2017 8:24 PM
  • For load balancers associated with scale sets, add NAT pools, not rules. E.g. use Add-AzureRmLoadBalancerInboundNatPoolConfig.
    Sunday, October 29, 2017 11:07 PM
    Answerer
  • I was able to run the commands via powershell, but configs are still not showing up in the portal.  Through powershell the new NAT pool doesn't have a ProvisioningState property like the default one does. Do you have to apply or reset to get it going?
    Sunday, August 5, 2018 2:56 AM
  • You may try the below powershell cmdlet to add NAT rule:

$slb=get-AzureRmLoadBalancer -Name "myLoadBalancer" -ResourceGroupName "myRGLB"

$slb | Add-AzureRmLoadBalancerInboundNatRuleConfig
    -Name NewRule1 -FrontendIpConfiguration $slb.FrontendIpConfigurations[0] -FrontendPort
    8080  -BackendPort 3389 -Protocol Tcp

$slb | Set-AzureRmLoadBalancer 

Output: Azure Portal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or “Up-Vote”. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:59 AM
  • Add-AzureRmLoadBalancerInboundNatRuleConfig won't work with scale sets.

You'd need to use add-AzureRmLoadBalancerInboundNatPoolConfig.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:03 PM
    Answerer
  • 1,5 years later and the portal still displays that same message. I thought work on this was supposed to finish up a year ago, summer 2017?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:59 AM
  • I would suggest you to vote up an idea submitted by another Azure customer.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/34192--general-feedback/suggestions/32538784-vmss

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure team.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:01 AM