none
IOT Edge SQL Server module for Windows? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Johan,

I confirmed that the Module doesn't support Windows containers, the team is working on updating the Marketplace page.

The SQL module uses SQL Server 2017. The choice of edition is dependent on the customer. Please note this is a BYOL module, which means customers have to bring their own license, which can be either Enterprise or Standard.

Once deployed, you should be able to use any SQL tool (including SSMS, ADS or command line) tools to manage SQL.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Johan Berghmans (CGI) thanks to bringing this to our attention! I will investigate and get back to you soon.
    Friday, September 20, 2019 4:41 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

Do you have any information for me yet?

Also - I would like to know what edition of SQL Server is used for the SQL module. I can't find any information about this in the documentation.

Plus - can you only manage the SQL server module by using the command line SQL command tool?

With kind regards,

Johan Berghmans.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi sorry for the delay. I am still waiting to hear back and I added your other questions too.
    Friday, September 27, 2019 8:10 PM
  • Hi Johan,

I confirmed that the Module doesn't support Windows containers, the team is working on updating the Marketplace page.

The SQL module uses SQL Server 2017. The choice of edition is dependent on the customer. Please note this is a BYOL module, which means customers have to bring their own license, which can be either Enterprise or Standard.

Once deployed, you should be able to use any SQL tool (including SSMS, ADS or command line) tools to manage SQL.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:18 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

But will there be a release of a Windows container version? Otherwise we will have to use a separate Docker container, but we'd prefer having an Edge version.

Furthermore - how do you pick the edition then? Because normally you pick the edition when installing SQL Server. You could for instance pick the Express edition, in stead of Enterprise or Standard. In a lot of "Edge" scenario's I believe a Express edition would fit better. You don't always need the overhead of an Enterprise or Standard edition.

With kind regards,

Johan Berghmans.

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:13 AM
  • I'm afraid that at this point I do not have any information or ETA for Windows support. You can select the edition doing something like this:

docker run -e 'ACCEPT_EULA=Y' -e 'SA_PASSWORD=yourStrong(!)Password' -e 'MSSQL_PID=Express' -p 1433:1433 -d mcr.microsoft.com/mssql/server:2017-latest-ubuntu

For more info please see: https://hub.docker.com/_/microsoft-mssql-server

Friday, October 4, 2019 9:24 PM