The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Multi-Factor Authentication!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

MFA Server on-Prem, 2 way OTP issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with one of our customers, using the Microsoft MFA (the on-prem server service).

MFA authentication is working fine with the MFA Authenticator app.

But for some users, we have to use 2way OTP.

The 2 way OTP however, doesn't seem to work.

It's 50/50 is I even receive an SMS/text message.

If I do, I reply the message. But nothing happens. After the authentication time out, the authentications on the server is fail.

When I look at activities on the Azure portal, I see the "test" authentication attempts from my test user. So the request must be delivered towards Microsoft.

Also I've created a specific firewall ACL, allowing everything out from the MFA on-prem, to make sure that it's not the firewall blocking.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Jonas 

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Two-way SMS is deprecated and not supported after November 14, 2018. Administrators should enable another method for users who previously used two-way SMS. 

This is documented here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/authentication/howto-mfa-mfasettings

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Marilee Turscak - MSFT Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by J.V.A Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:45 PM
  • Hi Marilee,

Thank you very much - this explains a lot.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:55 AM
  • No problem. You can switch to one-way SMS. I know that's not ideal but it will at least allow them to authenticate. 

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:58 PM