none
ClickOnce, Windows 10 and pinning to the Taskbar - fails to update RRS feed

• Question

• This is an issue that has occured in Development and Production.  The steps to reproduce are:

• Create a ClickOnce application and install onto Windows 10 from URL
    • Add the ClickOnce application to the Taskbar from the desktop 
    • Update the ClickOnce application and push onto the deployment site
    • Click the pinned item in the Taskbar, the ClickOnce doesn't kick in and shows the previous version.

However, clicking the ClickOnce application from the desktop does invoke the download of the new version.

In short, it appears that adding the item to the Taskbar disassociates the ClickOnce link / location.  What should happen is that regardless of where the application icon resides, it will download a new version of the application.  Note: the same ClickOnce application in Windows 7 and 8.1 works fine, including pinning to the Taskbar.

Has anyone else seen this error and are there any mitigration strategies?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you report it to Microsoft Connect.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:20 AM
  • I have the same problem here. Did you manage to solve this issue?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:38 AM
  • What happens if you take the link file off the desktop and add it to:

C:\Users\<YourUser>
    \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Substituting your user name for <yourUser>

Those are .lnk files I have in there.

I would have thought if the target is the clickonce url on the desktop then so long as you end up with the same target once there's a lnk in that folder it will work the same.

I guess maybe copying a clickonce link to the taskbar messes it up somehow.

I don't have a clickonce app to hand to test the theory though.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:57 AM
  • SeanCocteau,

Did you ever figure this out?  We're seeing this behavior as well and haven't found a good answer.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:57 PM
  • This seems to work:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-winpc/how-to-pin-applications-to-taskbar-with-windows-10/8e7807bc-9f14-43c4-97ca-5e85560d1767

Unfortunately, it doesn't "change" the pinned icon to be the icon of the running application but shows a second on. Not sure if this may help.

Monday, March 12, 2018 1:48 PM
  • This is an issue that has occured in Development and Production.  The steps to reproduce are:

• Create a ClickOnce application and install onto Windows 10 from URL
    • Add the ClickOnce application to the Taskbar from the desktop 
    • Update the ClickOnce application and push onto the deployment site
    • Click the pinned item in the Taskbar, the ClickOnce doesn't kick in and shows the previous version.

However, clicking the ClickOnce application from the desktop does invoke the download of the new version.

In short, it appears that adding the item to the Taskbar disassociates the ClickOnce link / location.  What should happen is that regardless of where the application icon resides, it will download a new version of the application.  Note: the same ClickOnce application in Windows 7 and 8.1 works fine, including pinning to the Taskbar.

Has anyone else seen this error and are there any mitigration strategies?

Thanks in advance.

We are also facing this issue. I wonder if anyone from Microsoft can offer an official response to this, since manually contacting every single user and updating their shortcuts is pretty rubbish?
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:25 PM
  • Hi Guys

This is still an issue.....even in VS 2019 

Has anyone had feedback

Andre

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 10:15 PM
  • I was encountering a similar issue as the problem originally posted, except the problem occurred when the program was pinned to the taskbar via right-clicking a running instance. The problem did not occur, however, when the program was pinned to the taskbar via right-clicking the desktop icon.
    Friday, October 11, 2019 8:08 PM