Emulator 8.1 Error Flash.vhd RRS feed

• Question

• While running windows phone application on Emulator 8.1 WVGA 4 inch 512MB get an error that flash.vhd is not at the specific location.

Farah Haroon Khan

Friday, May 23, 2014 4:11 AM

All replies

• Had you been able to run any of the Windows Phone emulators previously ...or is this the first time you tried?

Did you try repairing the Visual Studio 2013 install and/or the Windows Phone 8.1 Emulators install?

Did you check to see if flash.vhd existed in the specified location?

(The default location should be: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.1\Emulation\Images\flash.vhd" )

Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

Friday, May 23, 2014 4:59 PM
  • Currently I am facing same problem here.

I have Visual Studio 2013 Update 4 and Windows 8.1 SDK and Emulator installed. OS : Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit

I tried using my device and it's working fine.

1. Yesterday, i tried to use emulator FIRST time and VS gave me the same error specified in above question. 

2. I tried to reinstall the emulators but that won't work.

3. flash.vhd isn't available at the specified location. I have Flash.GDR1.dll on same location.

Friday, May 8, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Do you have flash.vhd in any folder on your drives?  (cmd ex: "dir \flash*.vhd /s/b" )

Did you install to Visual Studio and/or the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK to a different drive?  (i.e. did you change the default install location?)

If you used the default install location then I would also check the history logs of your Antivirus software to see if maybe it deleted the file.

FYI: The vhd file is rather large, about 1.6 GB, so available storage space could also be a factor.  Check your VS setup logs for any errors... the emulator install process is started by the Visual Studio installer but is not a dependent install step so failure to install the emulators will not cause the Visual Studio 2013 install to fail, although it should be reported in the log files.

Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

Friday, May 8, 2015 3:12 PM
  • Having this problem how did you solve it
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:11 PM
  • The Tools for Windows Phone development forum is retiring!

If you are still seeing this problem please post in the Developing Universal Windows apps forum.

-James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, June 4, 2015 12:12 AM