none
vs 2013 dot net 4.6 service reference missing Microsoft.Data.Services.Design RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been running into an issue when I try to add service refs to a .net 4.6 project in vs 2013; I get the following dialog

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Data.Services.Design, Version=5.6.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    OK   

Checking

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Data.Services.Design

I see a folder for 5.0.0; and I have tried installing

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45308&wa=wsignin1.0

to no avail.

I did use this https://sourceforge.net/projects/gacbrowser/ and found various language resource files exist for the 5.6.3 release are in the gac; but this is of little use as the assembly itself is mia.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Andrew

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:55 PM

Answers

• Did not see a notification here sorry, I ended up installing and reinstalling Visual studio

-Andrew

• Marked as answer by _Andrew_B Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

>> I have been running into an issue when I try to add service refs to a .net 4.6 project in vs 2013; I get the following dialog

Could you share us your detailed steps to get this error? Did you get this error immediately after you right click the project and add service reference or after you built your project?

Where did you use this assembly, in the service or in the project which needs to add service reference? Did you add a WCF Data service reference? If so, I suggest you check the .svc file whether the version number is correct. You could refer OData 101: Bin deploying WCF Data Services.

Best Regards,

Tony

Help each other

Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:15 AM
  • Tony,

This is client side.

Okay, specific steps:

1. Create new .net 4.6 solution and project

2. Right click, add -> service reference

3. Paste in service url hit go.

4. click ok

error dialog show up now

Microsoft Visual Studio
    Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Data.Services.Design, Version=5.6.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    OK   

Service reference folder on disk is empty so no version numbers.

Thanks for the help.

-Andrew

Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:04 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

>> Right click, add -> service reference

What is your service type, WCF SOAP service or WCF Data Service? I made a test with simple WCF SOAP service under .net 4.6 solution, it works correctly at my side. Did you use Microsoft.Data.Services.Design in your service side? Are your service and client in the same computer or different computer? It would be helpful if you could share us your detailed steps to create this service.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:57 AM
  • Edward

It is a wcf data service running on localhost in another .sln; but I also just made a demo project with the wcf data service in the same .sln and it fails the same way using discover.

I don't see a place to upload  the project or I'd send it to you; but basically I created the aspnet application and wcf data service as in here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc668184.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

relevant bits of the service:

public class WcfDataService1 : DataService<Data>
        {
            // This method is called only once to initialize service-wide policies.
            public static void InitializeService(DataServiceConfiguration config)
            {
                config.SetEntitySetAccessRule("*", EntitySetRights.All);
                config.DataServiceBehavior.MaxProtocolVersion = DataServiceProtocolVersion.V3;

}
        }

and

namespace WebApplication1
    {
        public class Data
        {
            public IQueryable<Dog> Dog
            { get; private set; }
        }
        [DataServiceKeyAttribute("name")]
        public class Dog
        {
            public string name { get;set;}
            public int slobber { get;set;}
        }
    }

and a win forms project to reference it.

Thanks,

--Andrew

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:03 PM
  • Where is the DLL? It's telling you right down to the version and publickeytoken of the DLL it wants.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.services.design.edmtoobjectnamespacemap(v=vs.110).aspx

You need to search the machine with the O/S's Find function and find the DLL.

If you find the DLL on the machine, then check the publickeytoken to see if it matches the one you are looking for and if not, then you know the problem.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wriju/2008/07/01/how-to-find-public-key-token-for-a-net-dll-or-assembly/

If the file is there with the right publickeytoken, then a dependency DLL that Microsoft.Data.Services.Design needs is missing, which I would assume the DLL(s) need to be in a Bin folder somewhere

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Sunday, July 31, 2016 10:00 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Your issue is more related with WCF Data Service, I will move this thread to the more related forum.

Reference: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=adodotnetdataservices

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 1, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:51 PM
  • The version it wants is not in the gac; nor after searching is it on my hdd.

I have tried installing a few things to no avail; perhaps there is some msft installer that includes that version of it?

--Andrew

• Edited by _Andrew_B Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:54 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:54 PM
  • I have tried installing a few things to no avail; perhaps there is some msft installer that includes that version of it?

You can search Bing or Google for a similar issue for a resolution that's the best I can tell you. Maybe find out what code is using the DLL, remove the reference from the solution, find a version of the DLL you do have and set reference to the DLL.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:52 AM
  • I am facing from similar problem in Visual Studio 2015 please tell me any solution..
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:02 AM
  • I had a similar issue and resolved it by adding Microsoft.Data.Services using "Manage Nuget Packages for solution".

Cheers,
    My Blog

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:44 AM
  • Did not see a notification here sorry, I ended up installing and reinstalling Visual studio

-Andrew

• Marked as answer by _Andrew_B Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:14 PM