none
UWP Enhanced Access RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having trouble with getting a decent framerate on my UWP Unity game after deploying to Xbox one, so i was excited to hear much more system resources are available with the new Fall Creators update. However, I don't understand if these new resources are used automatically, or how to access them. Xbox dev portal does not show i'm hitting performance limits. I haven't noticed an improvement in performance although a DirectX12 build now does seem to work. Any advice? Thanks
    Monday, October 23, 2017 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Mullan,

Thank you for your question on this forum. The answer can be broken into two parts

If you are developing:

You will need to go into devhome and set your application type to “Game”

For more details on devhome, here is a document that you may find useful:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/dev-home

Already released:

If you have already released and your application type is set to “Game” in the Portal, then you get the boost for free.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Kam – Xbox Live Forum Moderator

Monday, October 23, 2017 10:10 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply. I've followed your instructions and it works fine on DX11. If i set unity to DX12 however, the game will not launch after setting app type to Game. I get the error code 0x80040200. If o try again i just get a black screen and then dev home comes back. Am i correct that DX12 is required for full GPU access on Xbox?

• Edited by Mullan7 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:17 AM
  • For those interested the Unity team has reproduced the bug and said they will investigate
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:02 PM
  • What version of unity has the issue?  Also, does it have an Issue ID?

Note, I did search their Issues and found oneDX12 + UWP crash issue.  Is this it, or something else?

• Edited by Rygaar Wednesday, November 1, 2017 9:19 PM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 7:46 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply. Unity version is 2017.2.0f3

It's not that issue. The dx12 build does work after the xbox is restarted, and only if set to release mode. The bug seems to be on the console itself. It's also unclear if the extra resources are being used. On the Microsoft blog it was noted full access to GPU on UWP xbox games requires dx12

Here is my post on their forum: https://forum.unity.com/threads/uwp-enhanced-access.501436/

• Edited by Mullan7 Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:36 PM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:30 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response. We are aware of this issue and are working with Unity to investigate.

Thank you,

Kam - Xbox Live Forum Moderator

Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:46 PM