x86 and AnyCPU Visual Studio 2010 Express RRS feed

• السؤال

• Hi,

Reason for posting this into x64 is because it directly affects x64 development. Over the past year Microsoft has decided that some projects created default to x86 instead of the original AnyCPU type. The problem is that I cannot change from x86 to AnyCPU through the IDE which is a nightmare. The only workaround I've found was to create the project in 2008 and open it in 2010 which is a cleaner workaround than hacking the project file.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=455333&wa=wsignin1.0

Obviously I can understand that x64 development should use the x64 project type over AnyCPU for a true 64-bit app. Can Microsoft fix up this problem and put it back to what it was AnyCPU? As many have said, it destroys the flexibility of .NET having it as it is now.

What are others feelings on this?

27/جمادى الأولى/1431 03:53 ص

الإجابات

• Hi Will,

I create a Console application, a WinForm application and a WPF applicaiton in VS2010. Their default targets are x86. But it can be easily changed to AnyCPU in the project's property window. 

Here is a blog by Rick Byers (a developer on the CLR) which explained this topic in depth. Hope it could be helpful to you.

Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    • تم التحرير بواسطة SamAgain 27/جمادى الأولى/1431 09:02 ص refine
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة SamAgain 28/جمادى الأولى/1431 04:59 ص
    27/جمادى الأولى/1431 08:55 ص
  • Hi Will,

It turns out that "The Visual Studio Express Editions, such as Visual C# Express, do not support optimization for a specific CPU type. This is supported only in the full Visual Studio product."  The complete reference is here.

Thanks,
    Sam
    28/جمادى الأولى/1431 02:17 ص

جميع الردود

• Hi Will,

I create a Console application, a WinForm application and a WPF applicaiton in VS2010. Their default targets are x86. But it can be easily changed to AnyCPU in the project's property window. 

Here is a blog by Rick Byers (a developer on the CLR) which explained this topic in depth. Hope it could be helpful to you.

Thanks,
    Sam
    • تم التحرير بواسطة SamAgain 27/جمادى الأولى/1431 09:02 ص refine
    27/جمادى الأولى/1431 08:55 ص
  • Hi Sam,

Thank you for your post. It was a good blog on the subject. I've tried to change it but no luck. I'm waiting for my 2010 Pro to come but in the meantime it must be a limitation of Express OR I'm missing something completely? I've got my advanced configurations options ticked but I cannot seem to alter it in properties or solution properties.

How did you change it? Could you provide a step-by-step on this?

Regards

Will

27/جمادى الأولى/1431 10:54 م
  • Hi Will,

It turns out that "The Visual Studio Express Editions, such as Visual C# Express, do not support optimization for a specific CPU type. This is supported only in the full Visual Studio product."  The complete reference is here.

Thanks,
    Sam
    28/جمادى الأولى/1431 02:17 ص
  • Hi,

Just to say many thanks for the responses. The answers given are spot on, hopefully not too long before I get my Pro version.

Regards

Will

03/جمادى الثانية/1431 05:25 ص