none
Dubious mail to promote apps RRS feed

• Question

• This weekend i submitted a new version of my small app and coincidently I got just a couple of hours later an E-Mail to help me promote my app with "real fake reviews".
    I can't write the "real signature" of the mail, as it is somehow blocked but it is kind of a team which helps promoting in the Win Store

Is this a common thing to happen, a quick "Bing" search did not reveal a lot of information ?

My app is linked to a mail address which I only use for this app.
    I am curious how I draw their attention, is there a way to follow newly updated apps ?
    I almost have the suspicion that some "testers" are forwarding some data. Which of course is a little far fetched and paranoid.

• Edited by Andi Grimm Monday, September 18, 2017 7:59 PM updated infos
    Monday, September 18, 2017 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Andi,

Thanks for the info.

foxclore.ti@gmail.com is not any of Microsoft's teams' email addresses.

So I suggest you treat that email as spam.

Best Regards,

Annievia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Andi,

Which team sent you that email?

Could you share their email address here?

Best Regards,

Annievia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:26 AM
  • Hi Annievia,

The mail was sent from foxclore.ti@gmail.com and ended with:
    Thank you,
    Windows Store Promotion Team

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Hi Andi,

Thanks for the info.

foxclore.ti@gmail.com is not any of Microsoft's teams' email addresses.

So I suggest you treat that email as spam.

Best Regards,

Annievia

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Hi Annievia,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I figured this has to be fake. I was just curious if anyone else got contacted. Especially right after submitting an app to the store.
    The timing made me curious.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:29 PM
  • Hi Andi,

Could you mark my last reply as Answer so that other community members can find the answer quickly?

Thanks.

If you would like to communicate with other community members on some issues, you might open a new discussion thread.

Best Regard,

Annievia

MSDN Community Support

Friday, September 22, 2017 6:07 AM
  • Do you suspect it was Microsoft employee? Fake reviews are problem for Apple App Store and Google Play, but I never heard that it is possible in Windows Store, it is protected very well and there are no services in the Internet where you really can buy reviews for your app. Most likely those people would take your money and disappear if you will pay them.
    Friday, September 22, 2017 6:20 PM
  • I received the same solicitation from the same email address on Sept 23. Outlook.com did not flag it is spam but I marked it as such.
    Monday, September 25, 2017 1:02 AM
  • Fake reviews are most definitely a problem on the Windows Store too unfortunately. It doesn't take long to find an absolutely horrible looking and performing app that has hundreds of 5 star reviews. I was monitoring a particular category of the app store last year and I noticed an app that came out of no where and had hundreds of 5 star reviews within days. This app looked and performed very poorly. In no time at all, the app was in the "Top apps" section of its category.

I just checked the store and the app is still there with a 4.8 overall rating. But surprisingly it no longer appears anywhere in the "Top apps". I suspect that Microsoft's algorithm got a lot smarter. Perhaps the rating is less important than actual usage for example. That would be an easy way to detect fraud -- hundreds of 5 star reviews from people that never actually ran the app after giving the review is a red flag. Someone leaving a 1 star review will probably never run the app again but someone leaving a 5 star review would be expected to run the app at least once in a while.

Monday, September 25, 2017 1:24 AM
  • I was just surprised by the timing and was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I assumed that there are plenty of such offers in the wild and also used.

But you received the message not timely close to any submission ?

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:48 PM