locked
Deploy error: Package could not be registered RRS feed

  • Question

  • Just upgraded project by right clicking in solution explorer to Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight.

    It builds fine but fails to deploy (both emulator and phone): "Package could not be registered".

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:41 PM

Answers

  • I'll be damned!  I did the same thing and presto, the app now deploys :)

    You can remove the reference in the package.appxmanifest as well and the app will still deploy, as in:

    <m3:splashscreen image="Assets\Splashscreen.png">

    • Edited by syncMe Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by rfone Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:36 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Just figured out the problem.

    I removed Splashscreen.png after upgrading solution but "Package.appxmanifest" still contains the reference. Re-added splashscreen.png and everything is fine.

    • Proposed as answer by syncMe Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by rfone Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:36 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:09 PM

All replies

  • I have the exact same error!!

    Upgraded WP8 Project to WP8.1 Deploy Error

    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:02 PM
  • Hi, I got a reply on my thread and someone else encountered the same issue.  Their workaround was to revert back to WP8 Silverlight.  Looks like the WP8.1 SDK and Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 RC has some ways to go for project upgrading.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:01 PM
  • Thanks. But there must be some workaround than going back.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:23 AM
  • That's what I think.  I've built the solution using MSBuild with some logging outputs, but because the project builds successfully, nothing is revealed in the log to help with the deployment error.  No word from Microsoft which isn't helping...
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:03 PM
  • Just figured out the problem.

    I removed Splashscreen.png after upgrading solution but "Package.appxmanifest" still contains the reference. Re-added splashscreen.png and everything is fine.

    • Proposed as answer by syncMe Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by rfone Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:36 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:09 PM
  • I'll be damned!  I did the same thing and presto, the app now deploys :)

    You can remove the reference in the package.appxmanifest as well and the app will still deploy, as in:

    <m3:splashscreen image="Assets\Splashscreen.png">

    • Edited by syncMe Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by rfone Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:36 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Thanks fellas! The splashscreen removal from package manifest fixed me up too!

    I removed it just as syncMe did and presto! Yay!

    Friday, May 2, 2014 3:28 AM
  • Hey everyone,

    I was running into this issue with a different problem.  I started a brand new 8.1 project and whenever I would change the Product ID to be used for in-app purchases in the WMappmanifest, the app would not be installed.  It turns out that the package.appxmanifest has the ProductID value in plain text, but is not displayed on the screen.  Not sure which file is used, but now its working.

    Monday, May 12, 2014 1:15 PM
  • Here is a second solution:

    If you already have a different version of the app installed you will receive this error.  Uninstall the existing app and attempt deployment again. 
    Monday, June 23, 2014 2:43 AM
  • Thanks for this.

    Just upgraded my app using VS2013 Community Edition with Update 4 and hit the same problem. My app never had a splash screen so not sure why it had added the splashscreen to the manifest but removing it fixed the problem.

    Friday, November 21, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Such a poor error Microsoft!!

    I commented out the splashscreen as recommended and it worked immediately!! So frustrating that I've wasted so much time on this and it was that simple. I didn't even need a splashscreen picture to begin with as I had my own splashscreen.

    Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:32 AM
  • Problem is that file has capital letter S in Screen.

    So changing string to

    <m3:SplashScreen Image="Assets\SplashScreen.png" />

    also fix this problem.

    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:49 PM
  • same problem here.

    I was deleting all the default images from project/Assets folder except ApplicationIcon.png

    as i'm not using them and I encounter package could not be registered.

    But after adding back SplashScreen.scale-240.png to project/Assets folder.

    App can be deployed on my Windows Phone 8.1 from Visual Studio 2013

    Friday, March 13, 2015 7:55 AM