none
[UWP][VB][XAML]Do We Know Enough To Start Converting Our Apps For Windows Core OS / Windows Lite? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm sure most of the people on this forum have heard of Windows Core OS & Windows Lite, and are looking forward to the upcoming Surface event on October 2, right? And I'm sure most of us want to start working on converting our apps for Windows Core OS & Windows Lite, even if every detail is not yet available. Is there any information about stuff we can start doing to prepare our apps as much as possible, or any available SDKs for these OSs?

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:47 PM

All replies

• I don't think there's anything we need to do to prepare particularly. Likely continue using the existing frameworks and libraries whether that's WinRT, UWP, .Net Core or whatever. I mean who knows but I don't see them changing the development platforms now. We have .Net Core and UWP being prepped for .Net 5 next year. That's a lot of change in and of itself. Also, if I understand CoreOS correctly and if it actually eventuates, it's not going to be something we develop against anyway. Windows Desktop will sit on top of it, and that's what you'll be targeting.
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:58 PM
  • That's pretty much what I've been thinking & doing. The main aspect of my apps that I would like to start redesigning is the dual-screen for Centaurus. I was wondering if there are any classes or controls that will become the standard for doing this. For example, back when Microsoft tried to do the Universal App thing with Views & Triggers, that required some redesigning for certain apps (which may be why it ended up not being used). What will I need to do when I convert the apps from single-screen to dual-screen? I have thought about what I want it to look like, but there is not much point in trying to write code to do that if there will be new classes and controls for doing it.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:08 PM
  • The new Asus Zenbook Pro Duo - the one with the second screen on the keyboard, apparently treats it like just a second display with an unusual resolution. I expect that will be the case for all the new multi-screen devices, it just  seems like the best solution to me. However, I suppose Microsoft may take a closer look at multi-screen & multi-window application in case there are some behavior's that start making sense to feature if we start seeing these multi-screen devices more often. For example, do we need new API's that can force an application to open on the second screen? Or can apps simply remember the screen they opened on previously, leaving window API's as they are.

Sunday, September 22, 2019 3:57 PM