none
Introducing the Microsoft Store Services SDK

General discussion

• Hello Windows Developers,

Thanks for all the feedback on the Microsoft Store Engagement and Monetization SDK. We wanted to let you know that your feedback is being read, and is driving significant changes over the next six months.

Before we get into the specifics, please accept our apologies for some upcoming changes that are necessary to achieve a better long term outcome. For those using advertising, we acknowledge and empathize that we have had many bumps as we have navigated through several organizational and product changes, and as Microsoft transitioned away from the direct selling of display ads.

Now onto the specifics.

1. Microsoft Store Services SDK is the new, more concise name for the SDK, reflecting the fact that it will soon ship features beyond engagement and monetization. The SDK remains in the same Visual Studio Gallery location. We hope soon to add a NuGet endpoint as well for those who prefer that to fit into their build environments. Stay tuned on that.
    2. Microsoft Store Services SDK now only supports Windows 10 / UWP apps.
      1.        We strongly encourage all developers to build Windows 10 apps since the volume has surpassed all prior versions of Windows, and since all revenue driving features, such as viewable impressions, are being shipped only for UWP.
      2.        If you are still actively maintaining apps targeting down-level OS, install the Microsoft Store Advertising SDK for Windows and Windows Phone 8.x but note that servicing on the down-level SDK will be restricted to critical bug fixes.
    3. Engagement APIs are released as a framework package. For those who participated in the beta, consider our July release to be a mandatory update. The APIs did change as we are preparing for scenarios such as multi-user. Still, we think you’ll find the changes to be pretty straightforward. See the MSDN documentation to learn more.
    4. AdMediator is no longer being maintained as we shift to server side mediation.
      1.        For Windows 10 apps: Since we have just a single adapter for AdDuplex, we’ve opted to remove the library altogether.
        1. i.      An MSDN contains a detailed article for converting your code to AdControl.
        2. ii.      AdControl will permit you to mediate on Dev Center, without including multiple SDKs in your app package.
      2.        For down-level apps: AdMediator libraries remain in Microsoft Store Advertising SDK for Windows and Windows Phone 8.x
        1. i.      As with AdControl, servicing is limited to critical hotfixes.
        2. ii.      No new adapters or updates to existing will be developed.
    5.        Starting in January 2017, we will no longer serve into SDKs that don’t support MRAID 1.0. This change is required to help make our supply more uniform and attractive to advertisers. Impacted apps would be:
      1.        Any using SDKs shipped prior to April 2014, and
      2.        Those targeting Windows Phone 7.x, or Windows 8.0.

To prepare for this change, apps that monetize through advertising should plan to upload packages targeting 8.1 or later, preferably Windows 10/UWP, before the end of 2016.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:38 AM

All replies

• For apps use last AdControl SDK(UWP) version:

Do they need to install this new SDK and re-release?

If I reinstall this new SDK, do I need to modify anything in the project?

• Edited by Exilerrr Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:31 AM
  • Hey there, if you are using AdControl, then you don't need to re-release your app after installing the SDK.

Thanks,

-Jason

Principal Group Engineering Manager
    Microsoft Store Services SDK

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:11 PM
  • Do you plan to make small ads for desktop (300x50 and 320x50)?
    Do you want to make one AdUnit and App Key for PC/Tablet and Mobile devices (not like now two different)?
    • Edited by neosonne Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:02 AM
  • I don't get it.

You say "AdMediator is no longer being maintained as we shift to server side mediation" and also "AdControl will permit you to mediate on Dev Center".

But when we review your example code then we can observe that we have to do the mediation in our code for ourselves.
    So every single change of that mediation weight would require a new build?!!

• Edited by wolfSYS Monday, August 22, 2016 12:39 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 9:02 AM
  • "Starting in January 2017, we will no longer serve into SDKs that don’t support MRAID 1.0. This change is required to help make our supply more uniform and attractive to advertisers. Impacted apps would be:
    2.        Those targeting Windows Phone 7.x, or Windows 8.0.

To prepare for this change, apps that monetize through advertising should plan to upload packages targeting 8.1 or later, preferably Windows 10/UWP, before the end of 2016."

Do I understand correctly that Windows Phone 8.0 will be supported after January 2017?

Monday, August 22, 2016 11:04 AM
  • And what I also do not quite understand: we had to use 2 different AdUnit IDs - one for phone and one for all the other.
    Your MSDN code sample does not differ between "phone" and "other device".

Is this by reason (=by purpose; only one single AdUnit needed any longer) or was this just due to "demo simplification" reasons?

But anyway... thank you very very much for complicating things again  :-(
    • Edited by wolfSYS Monday, August 22, 2016 1:00 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 12:59 PM
  • hello?
    MSFT?
    is there anybody home?

anyone that would answer our questions???????????????????

Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:52 AM
  • Sorry for delay, I was out last week (bad timing given the release) and catching up here.

A fair # questions have built up above, hopefully I can address all that landed so far...

Do I understand correctly that Windows Phone 8.0 will be supported after January 2017?

Yes, it is supported in that we will continue serving traffic, PROVIDED you have recent enough bits, 6.2.40501.0 (or later). I should clarify that "supported" in this context only means ad serving continues.  No feature investments are being made to the down-level platforms.

Do you plan to make small ads for desktop (300x50 and 320x50)?
    Do you want to make one AdUnit and App Key for PC/Tablet and Mobile devices (not like now two different)?

Windows 10 / UWP Ad Framework code has always been agnostic to ad sizes and to form factors of the device, simply sends these values to the backend servers for making ad selection decisions. At launch timeframe, the servers didn't consume the device form factor and instead relied on a property of the AdUnit, hence the requirement for two. I'm told that should no longer be necessary, hence the refactor code sample that was published.

The code sample looks like client side mediation, what gives?

The appearance of irony is not lost on me. Server mediation is not expected to cover every single scenario. Bear in mind that even without explicit Dev Center controls, AdControl today is mediating with AOL and AppNexus, and many partner ad networks behind them through real time bidding. As we've steered away from client based mediation, but still have many customers using the AdDuplex SDK today, we felt that a code sample was the best the best way to help developers move forward through this change.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:31 PM
  • good to know.

one other question if you don't mind:

in the sample, there also is a mediation between paid ads and house ads.  this is no problem at all for apps that once used AdMediator since within the .config file we do have die AdUnit ID for the house ads.  we can grab this & work with this according to the sample.  easy peezy.

but what about a new appwhere can i grab the AdUnit ID for house ads?  i'm sorry if that may sound stupid but i haven found any place in DevCenter where those AdUnit for house ads would be shown.  neither in "monitize your app" nor in "promote your app".  maybe i am blind or missing something?

and something complety different: are your shure your latest Advertismend SDK is realy working?
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/0162522d-a614-4de4-a38d-5048328e883a/after-uploading-app-with-the-newest-ad-sdk-no-impressionsrequests-etc-in-dev-center?forum=aiasdk

• Edited by wolfSYS Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:54 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:41 PM
  • The code sample was indeed not attempting to handle new units as we were aiming it at existing devs using AdMediator on existing Win10/UWP apps. The Dev Center UI indeed doesn't expose house ad unit values.  UI is going to be changing soon, meantime I'm talking with folks here to unblock you.

on the second question, i'll never claim to be 100% certain of anything where software is involved, but yes, am pretty sure. ;-)  The link above shows a new app and one with a new AdUnit. In both cases new SDK is not an isolated variable.  As stated in that thread, AdControl for 8.1 is unchanged with latest MSI, and the Win10/UWP based framework is not redistributed in your apps - the runtime is in its own appx which your app references, and framework remains unchanged on client workstations from late June.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:09 PM
  • for anyone still following this thread, the converting your code to AdControl article has been modified since the backend services do still seem in certain cases to rely upon the desktop/mobile properties of the units, rather than DeviceFamily signal sent by SDK. apologies for the error, and thanks WolfSYS for working with me offline.

edit: I should further add that units created from ingestion of Win10 apps using AdMediator are not shown in the Dev Center UI and that is one reason the article uses the .config file for identifying same.

Friday, September 2, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Hello Ad Team,

I am kind of confused. In you post here in the forum you are saying that :

Starting in January 2017, we will no longer serve into SDKs that don’t support MRAID 1.0. This change is required to help make our supply more uniform and attractive to advertisers. Impacted apps would be:

On the other side it is written in a msdn article (https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/uwp/monetize/update-your-app-to-the-latest-advertising-libraries):

Part 1: Determine whether you need to update your app

Follow the instructions in the following sections to determine if you need to update your app.

Your app uses AdControl

If your app uses AdControl to display banner ads, follow these instructions.

UWP apps for Windows 10

Create a copy of the .appx package for your app so you do not disturb the original, rename the copy so it has a .zip extension, and extract the contents of the file.

Check the extracted contents of your app package:

If you see a Microsoft.Advertising.dll file, your app uses an old SDK and you must update your project by following the instructions in the sections below. Proceed to Part 2.

Which information is correct now? As the Advertsing.dll file ist also included in SDKs released after 2014 both information can not be correct!?

Friday, November 18, 2016 8:37 PM
  • and still till today no explanation at all how to obtain the IDs for house/affiliate /community ads for new Ad Units...

why is this, Microsoft ???
    you had have time enough for this.
    but (once again) you're doing nothing...

(i don't even want to start discussing about "soon to come" Facebook Ads - given up on this, i assume?)

new definition for the term "dead" = UWP development

• Edited by wolfSYS Saturday, November 19, 2016 10:45 AM
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 10:35 AM
  • Hi!

I try the new SDK and want to show Video Ads.
    I try it with a  InterstitialAd (AdType.Video)
    interstitialAd.RequestAd(AdType.Video, "d25517cb-12d4-4699-8bdc-52040c712cab", "11389925");

but i got always a
    Microsoft.Advertising.WinRT.UI.AdErrorEventArg
    - InvalidServerResponse
    - Invalid XML.

Any hint how to solve this?

Saturday, November 19, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi AdMediator,

I've updated a preexisting Windows Phone 8.0 and Windows Phone 8.1 app to use the Silverlight references for ads.  No code changes were required to compile...   But, now, when I run the app on a device to verify the currently used application id and ad unit id, I get an error back below.

Why is this happening?  What should I do?

Exception from HRESULT: 0x803F6107

at Windows.ApplicationModel.Store.CurrentApp.get_AppId()
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.Utilities.GetStoreAppId()
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.RequestFactory.ConstructAdRequestUrl(String serverUrlBase, IAdRequestData adRequestData)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.RequestFactory.ConstructAdRequestUrl(IAdRequestData adRequestData)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.RequestFactoryProxy.ConstructAdRequestUrl(IAdRequestData adRequestData, EventBroadcaster eventBroadcaster)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.ConstructAdRequestUrl()
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.StartAdRequest()
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.GetAdvertisementInternal(Boolean notifyOnRefresh, Boolean forceDownload)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.GetAdvertisement(IDictionary`2 adTags)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Mobile.UI.AdControl.InitializeAdControl()

Karhu Koti

Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:27 PM
  • Apparently this is a known issue..

Debugging is apparently quite difficult...but never fear "they are working hard to fix it"

So far at least 6 days of working hard.... but no real signs of any fix.

Monday, November 21, 2016 1:15 PM
  • It is all already fixed, windows store is a great  place for app development right now (irony), here more
    • Edited by neosonne Monday, November 21, 2016 1:29 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 1:28 PM
  • Update :   Looks like even if you app has been previously submitted you may get these errors UNTIL it is in the store.   I see the app newly downloaded works, even though while debugging the app gets these errors.

Can you clarify what you mean "it is already fixed" ?

I have verified I have the nugget package installed:  Install-Package Microsoft.Advertising.WindowsPhone.SL80 -Version 6.2.40501.1

I am still getting the exception and cannot receive any ads:

Why is this happening?  What should I do?

Exception from HRESULT: 0x803F6107

at Windows.ApplicationModel.Store.CurrentApp.get_AppId()
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.Utilities.GetStoreAppId()
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.RequestFactory.ConstructAdRequestUrl(String serverUrlBase, IAdRequestData adRequestData)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.RequestFactory.ConstructAdRequestUrl(IAdRequestData adRequestData)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.RequestFactoryProxy.ConstructAdRequestUrl(IAdRequestData adRequestData, EventBroadcaster eventBroadcaster)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.ConstructAdRequestUrl()
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.StartAdRequest()
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.GetAdvertisementInternal(Boolean notifyOnRefresh, Boolean forceDownload)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.GetAdvertisement(IDictionary`2 adTags)
       at Microsoft.Advertising.Mobile.UI.AdControl.InitializeAdControl()

Karhu Koti

• Edited by karhukoti Monday, November 28, 2016 6:11 AM updted
    Sunday, November 27, 2016 11:29 AM
  • >> Can you clarify what you mean

are you new here?
    It is very difficult to get a reasonable answer from ads team. If you have a problem, you get only an general explanation, how should it work and no answer to your question. Only if a lot of user report the problem, then you have a chance to get your issue resolved. The guys think that AdControl has not bugs and work always perfect.

Monday, November 28, 2016 8:38 AM
  • Hi guys!

Thank you for the update of the SDK!

Question I have is before we had to create ad unit and specify a category for each ad unit we wanted to use.

Is it now obsolete? I do not see an option to configure ad category on ad unit.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:02 AM