none
Do UWP apps make much profit? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello, I have been wondering whether it is possible to make much (if any) money from developing and publishing UWP apps for the Windows Store.  I released by first Android app 4 months ago and that has been a dismal failure.  On the other hand, over the past 4 months, trying to turn my failure around, I have read a lot about Android and IOS.  Even though my app has not earned a penny, there are many Android developers that are making thousands of dollars per month from running ads in their Android apps.  I have noticed that I can never find anyone who has something to say about profit from UWP apps.  The Windows store does not give download numbers.  I don't know if the # of reviews reflect the # of downloads, but when looking at the top ranked apps in the Windows store, I see that they usually have 10-100 reviews and, at most, 1000.  The Play Store for Android tells you with each app the number of installs to date.  The top ranked Android apps can easily have tens of thousands of reviews.  If an Android app has 10-100 reviews, like most apps in the Windows store, it means they are very likely not getting many users and are only earning pennies at best.

When I browse the Windows store, I find most of the apps look awful.  Nearly every app I have downloaded from the Window store has been worse than garbage.  

I am left with the feeling that making a living through developing apps for the Windows store is not realistic.  It is frequently on my mind but I can't find a single person to talk to about it so far.  Can anyone tell me if the Windows store is as hopeless (for making money with app dev) as it seems to me?  

Up until a few years ago, I had been developing Windows programs for my own use and for the bookstore I had at the time.  I was just a hobbyist, programming in Visual Basic and C#.  When I lost my bookstore, I started out to try making money with Windows development, but it looked like a dead end 3-4 years ago.  Android has been a dead end for me so far, but at least with Android I know that if I stick with it long enough, I might eventually strike gold.  Does anyone ever strike even the smallest amount of gold with a Windows UWP?  .... I would deeply like to return to developing for Windows, but not as a hobbyist.  With my bookstore gone, I need a livelihood.  There is so much that I dislike about phone / tablet development.  Most of all, I have a long list of app ideas, but they would never work on Android because an Android device will almost always lack a full keyboard and mouse, a full-sized desktop monitor and the memory and power of a desktop.

None of my app ideas would be practical for Android and Apple devices.  I am wondering if there is any chance that I could make a living with Windows UWP development?  I am at a cross-roads in trying to decide what to do: continue with Android or spend some time trying UWP development instead.  I feel the consequences of making a bad decision will be severe for me because if I go down a dead end at this point (UWP) then I will have to return to unskilled jobs and will have little time left to even be a dev hobbyist.  Because I haven't been able to get even a single word from anyone about what the UWP / Windows store scene is like, I am thinking I will probably have to continue with Android where even if I am not yet making a living with Android, a lot of people are, giving me hope for the future.  Is there any hope with UWP and the Windows store? 

Thanks for reading my question!

Thursday, October 18, 2018 3:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Orion-Dev,

Sorry for what happened to you. The UWP developing is similar to C# developing,based on the fact that you have a C# foundation, so this should be an advantage for you. In fact, the language used is only w way or habit of developing.If you want to make profits through your app, please guarantee the quality of the app. Of course, choosing a good language is also important.

The UWP builds apps for any Windows device (PCs, phones, Xbox One, HoloLens, and more), which you could use on devices with only one publishing. If you publish your app in the store, you can make a profit by purchasing the app itself or adding Ad to it. When your app is successfully released, there are several ways to promote your app.Hope you can succeed.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Hi, thank you for your kind message!

I know that I can publish my app in the Windows store and that I can set a price for it and I can also use advertising and in-app purchases.

What I was wondering is: Despite the incredible number of Windows desktops and Surface Books, the Windows store seems (to me) like it is dead.  I have never heard of anyone making a penny with it.  I hear endless stories of people making fortunes (small and large) with Android and IOS.  Since I never hear of anyone making a profit with Windows UWP, I am thinking there must be little or no profit potential.

I know the possibility is there to monetize an app in the Windows store, but does that ever result in the Windows developer making money?

Thank you again for your kind message!

• Edited by Orion-Dev Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:32 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:29 AM
  • When I browse the Windows store, I find most of the apps look awful.  Nearly every app I have downloaded from the Window store has been worse than garbage.  

That is the answer to your question, if it were possible, we would have more apps and better apps. Microsoft has created a very good platform for development, but there is still no possibilities to make money like by android. Great platform without apps doesn't need anyone and store itself is bad, has problems since years and nobody fixes they instead they create new features with old issues. I can describe many problems, what I already did in last 3 years and not only I, but nobody at Microsoft is interested in it.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:31 AM
  • Thank you.  That is exactly what I feared.  I am feeling down about this because I love to program, but the ideas I have all require heavy text input.  Trying to use them without the full-sized desktop monitors and keyboards would not be practical.  I had been deeply hoping I could switch from Android to UWP for that reason.  Also, I personally prefer the Windows 10 visual style over both Android and IOS.

I appreciate your response.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:44 AM
  • If you have good ideas and can create really good app, which many people need, then I think it is possible to earn with it, not with ads, only if you sell it. But it is difficult and not quick, risks are to big, you can invest much time, patience, money and get nothing.
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:00 AM