none
[UWP] Problems in appointment APIs RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am porting my WP8.1 calendar app to Windows 10 (mainly to desktop first) but I faced immediately few major issues.

Following code should show UI for adding a new appointment. Anyway, only some static UI is shown and nothing can be edited.

var appointmentStore = await Windows.ApplicationModel.Appointments.AppointmentManager.RequestStoreAsync(AppointmentStoreAccessType.AllCalendarsReadOnly);

var appointment = new Appointment();
    var id = await appointmentStore.ShowEditNewAppointmentAsync(appointment);

Following code should show appointment details and allow user optionally to edit or delete appointment (as in WP8.1).

var appointmentStore = await Windows.ApplicationModel.Appointments.AppointmentManager.RequestStoreAsync(AppointmentStoreAccessType.AllCalendarsReadOnly);

await appointmentStore.ShowAppointmentDetailsAsync(appointmentId);
    It seems that appointment details are shown correctly (I did notice some cosmetic issues). If I press "edit" button to edit the appointment, the editor UI is shown as it should. But now if I press "Save" button or the back-button in title bar, control is returned to the Outlook Calendar app and not into my app.

Those issues make the appointment UI APIs totally useless, they cannot be used to implement any real calendar app. Are those known issues and when will they be fixed?

Saturday, August 1, 2015 4:14 PM

All replies

• Is it possible to add/update/delete appointments in all available calendars using appointment APIs in Windows 10 (desktop and mobile)? I noticed a new enum AppointmentStoreAccessType.AllCalendarsReadWrite, but this code

var appointmentStore = await Windows.ApplicationModel.Appointments.AppointmentManager.RequestStoreAsync(AppointmentStoreAccessType.AllCalendarsReadWrite);
    throws "access denied" exception (tested in desktop). I have added "appointments" into my app's capabilities.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Hi kine,

These two APIs will call the default Appointments provide to guide user adding or showing Appointments information.

On the Windows 10 desktop, ShowEditNewAppointmentAsync invoked the Add UI without edit button.

On the Windows 10 Mobile, there are some options to allow you edit the details:

After adding the new appointment, we can press back button to exit the Calendar app and back to our app.

I think this is the new design in Windows 10, but if this will cause confusing, I would suggest you submitting it using Feedback app: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-updates-feedback-pc

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 3, 2015 11:28 AM
  • Hi,

Please make sure you have created appointment calendars created by your calling app:

AppCalendarsReadWrite | appCalendarsReadWrite    0    The appointment store has read and write access to appointment calendars created by the calling app.

Monday, August 3, 2015 2:29 PM
  • I am not interested in getting read/write access to app calendars, but to ALL calendars.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 2:38 PM
  • ShowEditNewAppointmentAsync does not invoke any Add UI with edit controls, it just shows some read-only text. Same issue both in Windows 10 desktop and phone. If this is not a bug so what is. Try pressing the + button in Outlook Calendar so you will see what UI should be shown.

What comes to navigation issues in ShowAppointmentDetailsAsync, I don't think they are by design. Why any app wanting to show appointment details would like to get Outlook Calendar's main view in foreground!!? That would be terrible UI experience.

To me it looks that both of those APIs are completely untested and unfinished code (I did not test other appointment UI apis because I don't actually need them, but based on my experience with these two APIs there is high probability that all of them are broken).

Please notice that these APIs work correctly in Windows Phone 8.1. If Microsoft does not fix those issues in Windows 10 mobile, you will break several apps in Store including my app (and I have paying customers). And if Microsoft does not fix the same issues in Windows 10 desktop, you will prevent me from porting my app to Windows 10 desktop.

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:17 PM
  • Hi kine,

Currently, there is limited document about AppointmentStoreAccessType.AllCalendarsReadWrite, it does not mention the necessary capabilities we need to specify.

I also tried all UAP Capabilities, but all results are "Access is denied", I will contact with the related team through internal way.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:12 AM
  • Thanks, I am waiting for further information.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 3:24 PM
  • I contacted correct persons at Microsoft directly. I got very quick and kind response. They fully agreed about the the issues I found and promised trying to fix them before Windows 10 mobile is out.
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

I'm facing the same problem, access denied.

I want to make an app which can access with read/write to the calendars created with outlook.com.

ReadOnly does work, but ReadWrite no.

Any new information about that problem ?

Do I have to use the old Live API to access to the calendars ?

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:53 AM
  • did you also added the capability in the manifest file?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 8:46 AM
  • Franklin Chen, so what was the answer from the related team?

Friday, September 11, 2015 12:20 PM
  • So as far as I understand, as for current version of Windows 10 this API (AppointmentStore) is absolutely unusable?

Sunday, September 13, 2015 12:43 PM
  • Yes it is, totally unusable. I think issues are related to the current version of the Outlook Calendar app, so they can fix the issues by updating the Outlook Calendar app.
    Sunday, September 13, 2015 1:02 PM
  • Yes, I added manually the capability in the manifest file. If not, even ReadOnly access is denied.

How do you do internally with the Windows 10 Calendar App to add/remove appointments in calendars created in Outlook.com ?
    Monday, September 14, 2015 3:40 PM
  • I am having exactly the same problem.

Reading appointments with

await AppointmentManager.RequestStoreAsync(AppointmentStoreAccessType.AllCalendarsReadOnly);

works fine, but when I specify "AppointmentStoreAccessType.AllCalendarsReadWrite" the app crashes and yes, the required permission is set in the package manifest file.

<uap:Capability Name="appointments"/>

I can hardly believe this is true...
    Creating appointments finally was working in Window Phone 8.0 and now in Windows 10 it is no longer working?
    How should I port my WP 8.x app from windows phone 8.1 to windows 10?
    Since the calendar included in Widows 10 IS able to create appointments, there must be a way to do this - which programing interface is it using?

If I tell users of my app that I cannot port it since windows 10 does not allow creating appointments they may think I am insane.

PLEASE tell me that this is a mistake and I am using the programing interface the wrong way...

best regards,
    Hannes

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:11 PM
  • Currently I am porting my app Week View to UWP and came across this problem.
    I spent a whole day researching and trying out the SDK on a WP 8.x device (where everything works fine) and on my new Lumia 950.
    I wrote test apps targeting WinRT and UWP, testing them on a WP 8.x and the Lumia 950 with the released/final version of WM10.

The Problem still exists.
    I wrote a long posting about it on my blog: http://www.hannesbiribauer.com/wordpress/?p=1178

MS, are you insane?
    You knew about this major problem and did not fix it for the final release!?

> They fully agreed about the issues I found and promised trying to fix them before Windows 10 mobile is out.

What a bad joke!
    I hope you understand that currently all calendar apps are broken.
    Do you really think that's the way to motivate developers to create UWP apps?

regards,
    Hannes

Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:49 PM
  • Can someone from support please answer this question: Which function should developers use to create new appointments?

"ShowEditNewAppointmentAsync" is not working since it does not allow Setting reminder, recurrence and appointment status.
    "ShowAddAppointmentAsync" is not working since it Shows field values in read-only mode.

Update: Since it's an UWP Test App, I also started it on my PC, running Windows 10.
    Everything is working fine here and the full edit experience is shown, when calling "ShowEditNewAppointmentAsync", like it should be on Windows phone 10 too.

So in my opinion MS simply focused on windows 10 and released an unfinished windows phone 10.

greetings,
    Hannes

• Edited by HannesBiri Friday, December 18, 2015 10:49 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 9:35 AM
  • When will this be fixed??
    I am already getting emails from users complaining about this problem.

regards,
    Hannes

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:36 PM
  • When will this be fixed??
    I am already getting emails from users complaining about this problem.

regards,
    Hannes

As far as I tested on new SDK 105** I managed to create AppointmentStore and add appointments from my app.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:45 PM
  • I reported the following issues to a team working on related APIs:

1. If Outlook Calendar (mobile) has been suspended on background, calling  e.g. ShowEditNewAppointmentAsync or ShowAppointmentDetailsAsync only shows a black screen.   
    2. In ShowEditNewAppointmentAsync (mobile) dialog it is not possible to set appointment recurrence, reminder and other important options.

I have not received any response yet. Let me know if you are aware of any other major issues.

• Edited by kine_ Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:25 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:24 PM
  • 3. We get the wrong calendar colors.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:34 PM
  • @AvelN: Yes, creating appointments works but the wrong UI is shown on the phone running WM10.
    It is not possible to set the the remindert time, recurrence and appointment status.

All of this works on Windows 10 running on the PC but it does not work on WM10.
    My test-app ist targeting the 10586 SDK.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

I'm in the same boat right now and just discovered this thread. Is there any update from Microsoft regarding this issues? I don't believe it makes sense not to allow user to have read/write access to all calendars. I want to create an appointment automatically via my app but I want to let the user choose which calendar it should be added to.

If giving full read/write access to all calendars require a security prompt of some sort the first time the app is run, so be it, but leaving it as read-only calendars is just not good enough.

Creating the appointment locally does not make sense as I want an appointment which needs to be synchronise through all devices (my pc, my tablet and my phone for example) all of which have access to my outlook.com and my gmail.com accounts but I don't want to force the user having to use outlook.com or gmail.com. I want to leave it up to them. Also using the Live SDK is not an option as I don't want to force my users having to use outlook.com, nor do I want to prompt them for credentials as these are already set in the calendar.

If having it locally is the only option, I may as well use scheduled notification instead rather than a local calendar as all I want is to be notified that an event is about to occur on a specific date and time.

Please solve this issue. I'm achieving a lot of great things since I've started my UWP app but I also feel there is a lot of "1 step forward, 2 step back" on many issues.

Thanks.

Thierry

Sunday, January 3, 2016 12:06 AM
  • @Rob, the thread you first silently deleted as "duplicate" and now merged here is not related to this original thread at all, two completely different issues with different resolutions.
    • Edited by kine_ Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:22 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:19 AM
  • The to (unrelated) threads are merged now but still no reply, when these bugs will be fixed. :(

Btw. creating appointments works for me, even when the appointment store is requested with the option "AppointmentStoreAccessType.AllCalendarsReadOnly".

Of course it does not work with the full edit experience, which is the second problem that was merged into this thread.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Is there a chance that this problem (which was known to MS when WM10 was a developer preview version) will be fixed in a future update, which is URGENTLY needed??

Users of my app are reporting this issue and of course I (and all other developers that create calendar apps) cannot fix it!

greetings,
    Hannes

Monday, January 11, 2016 6:34 PM
  • As you see from the merged thread MS engineers on these forums do not even understand what we are talking about. So I would not expect very much help from them, they are here collecting points and not really solving difficult issues. I guess major issue is that they don't even have contacts to development teams, or at least they are too lazy to contact them. That's why I had to do it myself. But not any answer yet... maybe because of the holiday season.
    • Edited by kine_ Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:44 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Nice...getting the first bad reviews for my app because of this problem. :(

Thanks MS - if you like us to become iOS developers by creating automatic converters and "bridges" please let us know!
    Using bridges to easily convert apps that were never built for windows for sure is a great way to get high quality apps on your platform and much easier then fixing bugs (known for months !!) in your SDK.

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:09 AM
  • In general, the best way to report bugs via the Windows Feedback Tool.

You are correct that this thread is confusing. I'm not sure what exactly the problem(s) you are trying to report are. It's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff here.

Also, you already said you were working with the product group and they are working on this, so I'm not sure what else you are looking for from this thread. The most we can say here about a bug is that it is being looked into. We cannot discuss future details such as when a fix may or may not be available.

That said, if you need help beyond the scope of the forum you can open a support ticket at http://aka.ms/storesupport .

Friday, January 15, 2016 4:30 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, I thought this is a developer forum and so it makes morse sense to report SDK bugs here...but I will use the "Windows Feedback Tool" as you suggested.

>  We cannot discuss future details such as when a fix may or may not be available

I understand.
    I am working in software industry for 20 years and am simply used to the process:

1. user reports a major bug
    2. support responds and gives a timeline for a fix
    3. this allows the user to "plan in the future" like using a workaround when possible or wait for the bugfix...when he/show knows it will take 1 month only.

best regards,
    Hannes

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:45 PM
  • In general, the best way to report bugs via the Windows Feedback Tool.

You are correct that this thread is confusing. I'm not sure what exactly the problem(s) you are trying to report are. It's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff here.

Also, you already said you were working with the product group and they are working on this, so I'm not sure what else you are looking for from this thread. The most we can say here about a bug is that it is being looked into. We cannot discuss future details such as when a fix may or may not be available.

That said, if you need help beyond the scope of the forum you can open a support ticket at http://aka.ms/storesupport .

Yes it is confusing now, because you messed it up :) You merged a completely unrelated thread into this thread. Original thread discusses about urgent issues in Appointment APIs. The other merged thread discusses a limitation (not a bug) in appointment APIs set my Microsoft. Other than that, everything is clear here. Read the last two posts at the bottom of this page to see the current status of the actual issues, if really interested.

I have tried that Windows Feedback Tool. It may be in theory a useful tool for consumers, but for developers it is a completely useless tool. Two major issues are that 1) you can see only comments in your own region and 2) it is one-way communication tool. In addition the available subcategories under the "development environment" are very badly designed, far from reality. And after all, I think you get so much (consumer) messages via that tool that probability to get your message from that tool to the correct team/person at Microsoft is less than 0.01%. As a quick test I sent a feedback for my own app using that tool, let's see when I receive the feedback (I would bet "never").

Also, based on my almost 4 years experience opening a support ticket for any development related issues is completely waste of time. They have same issue as you, not any communication methods/channels to the product development teams. Support is only useful if you have some issue with your developer account or if there is an issue in the Store. Also in these issues they have difficulties to get anything solved, but that is not only their fault because a fix for example into a Store issue requires actions from the Store developers and they seem to prefer denying any issues.

As other developers have the same issue, I can use this thread at least to communicate the fix status i.e. when a fix will be available... as soon as I get some response from the team.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 2:12 PM
  • They were merged because they were confusing, not confusing because they were merged. In general it's best to have one clearly stated problem per thread. This thread had multiple issues (as indicated by the title) even before the merge.

Support is only useful if you have some issue with your developer account or if there is an issue in the Store
    There are separate support topics for publishing issues and development issues. From your description you talked to the publishing team not the development help team. Next time choose a topic from http://aka.ms/storesupport under app development for a problem such as this.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Well now there are two completely different problems in this thread after you merged them. Originally there was one clearly stated problem per thread. How difficult can it be to understand that? :) Both are development issues, not publishing issues. My thread subjects/descriptions do not refer to publishing issues at all, not with a single word. I don't understand at all what are you talking about, but may I now concentrate to actual development issues. Thanks.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Today I installed the latest build (10.0.10586.107) on my test phone.
    The issue described here (wrong UI shown for creating/editing appointments) is still NOT fixed.

If this update will be released as an update for WP 8.1 phones all calendar apps in the store will stop fully working....just for information, if anybody from the support team cares about it...

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 9:38 PM
  • 4.  The appointment Details-field is not saved always. It seems to be saved only if you edit also the appointment subject (or something). This occurs both in desktop and in mobile. Are you other devs able to reproduce this?

• Edited by kine_ Monday, February 29, 2016 11:53 AM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 11:47 AM
  • Please notice that all issues have been reported to Microsoft and they are working on them.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 11:49 AM
  • "...and they are working on them"

*gg* - that's a good one!
    as we know these bugs exist for more then 1/2 year and are still not fixed, even in the latest "redstone" build for WM10. ;)

Monday, February 29, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Issues are most probably in Outlook calendar app, not in Windows 10 OS. So it is some future Outlook calendar update that will fix them.

Monday, February 29, 2016 4:42 PM
  • mhm, let's hope this happens in the near future.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:13 AM