Question about availability zones RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

1)If I have two or more vms that has same purpose (dc, front, back ect.) and you put them into availability zone 1 what happens when zone fails? Do they automatically replicated to another zone or do I need to put vm X to zone 1 and vm X to zone 2 to get high availability and zone's benefits compared to availability set? If zone fails and they don't automatically gets replicated I assume that they just stop working?

2)When using availability zones, do vms get fault and update domains settings or can I configure those settings somehow? At least Portal do not give any those settings when selecting zones.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1) Availability zones don’t actually fail-over automatically, as zones serve solely as a way to isolate your VM's. They work together to give you a solution to prevent disruptions. The important thing is that the fail-over method, or how the network handles a fail-over, has to be set up by you. This can be done using things such as Azure Site Recovery or OS-level replication.
    So, if you put all VM's in one Availability Zone and the zone goes down then you will have downtime for that application. With Availability Zones, Azure offers industry best 99.99% VM up-time SLA.

2) For leveraging the fault and update domain in VM Scale sets and protect VM's from datacenter-level failures, you can create a scale set across Availability Zones in Azure regions that support Availability Zones. Please check this document for more details.

Hope the provided information is helpful.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're migrating from MSDN to Microsoft Q&A as our new forums and Azure Virtual Machines has already made the move! 

In future, you can ask and look for Azure Virtual Machines related questions here: https://docs.microsoft.com/answers/topics/azure-virtual-machines.html

Thursday, April 23, 2020 4:34 AM